Hey fellow Saiga owners,

I want to convert my Saiga 308 for now just to a new trigger group and a pistol grip. I have read these forums over and over and watched youtube vids. I want to make sure I order all the correct parts to complete this conversion successfully.

Here is the list:

AK G2 Single Hook Trigger Group

AK Retaining Plate

AK Cross Member Bushing & Rivet Combo

I dont have a rivet gun so I guess the above item wont work, I did find this though http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?id=A5D0...57-8ABAC54CE1E5 Will this make it easer and help cover up any wholes in the gun after the conversion?

AK Wire Retaining Spring

Ergo Classic AK Grip

Pistol Grip Screw and Nut

Disconnector Spring

IF their are any items I am missing please advise, if I got parts I dont need please let me know also trying to do as cheap as possible.

-Thanks

Edited by Northman

For the fire control group (FCG), I highly recommend the dinzagarms.com .308 PG conversion FCG. It addresses ALL of the FCG modification issues for the Saiga .308 and is a "drop-in" assembly. In my opinion, it is well worth the money.

The retaining plate is a great option. Dinzag has that as well.

I don't see any need for the cross member bushings or rivets.

If you use the retaining plate, there is no need for the retaining wire.

Any U.S. made AK PG should be OK.

You will want the PG screw and nut. Dinzag has those too. Note that if the PG nut hole is not pre-cut, you will have to cut it yourself or use a Saigatech trigger guard assembly, which includes the PG nut. In that case, you may need to check on what PGs work with it.

The disconnector spring is included in the Dinzag .308 FCG. If you go with a regular G2, which you will need to modify, then a regular AK spring will work.

You will want to put a U.S. made stock made for a stamped AK on it.

Be prepared to do touch-up painting where the bottom plate is. There is no factory finish under it.

Thanks alot for the info i will look into those items, I was trying not to order from Dinzag because of the wait time. Currently Its about 4 weeks I beleive he said on his site. Your saying if I got with a Normal G2 I will need to modify, I watched all the vids I can I dont recall alot of modifcation here. just taking out the spring in the old triger and putting it in the new one. I dont know though if they had a special kit or not for the G2

For the fire control group (FCG), I highly recommend the dinzagarms.com .308 PG conversion FCG. It addresses ALL of the FCG modification issues for the Saiga .308 and is a "drop-in" assembly. In my opinion, it is well worth the money.

The retaining plate is a great option. Dinzag has that as well.

I don't see any need for the cross member bushings or rivets.

If you use the retaining plate, there is no need for the retaining wire.

Any U.S. made AK PG should be OK.

You will want the PG screw and nut. Dinzag has those too. Note that if the PG nut hole is not pre-cut, you will have to cut it yourself or use a Saigatech trigger guard assembly, which includes the PG nut. In that case, you may need to check on what PGs work with it.

The disconnector spring is included in the Dinzag .308 FCG. If you go with a regular G2, which you will need to modify, then a regular AK spring will work.

You will want to put a U.S. made stock made for a stamped AK on it.

Be prepared to do touch-up painting where the bottom plate is. There is no factory finish under it.

Thanks alot for the info i will look into those items, I was trying not to order from Dinzag because of the wait time. Currently Its about 4 weeks I beleive he said on his site. Your saying if I got with a Normal G2 I will need to modify, I watched all the vids I can I dont recall alot of modifcation here. just taking out the spring in the old triger and putting it in the new one. I dont know though if they had a special kit or not for the G2

The FCG must be modified to work with the safety on the .308. Or, the .308 safety can be replaced with a standand AK safety.

The FCG must be modified to work with the safety on the .308. Or, the .308 safety can be replaced with a standand AK safety.

Thanks everyone I went with the Dinzag trigger group, althought about 50+ more dollars if it really helps with issues and is more of a drop in and go configuration it is worth it.

Edited by Northman
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to kinda hijack but, where can I find instructions on how to modify a G2 group for the .308? I already have a G2 and want to use it in m .308 conversion to avoid the wait and exspense of a drop in unit. I have asked this several places on many sites and have yet to see how to do this. Can anyone help?

Sorry to kinda hijack but, where can I find instructions on how to modify a G2 group for the .308? I already have a G2 and want to use it in m .308 conversion to avoid the wait and exspense of a drop in unit. I have asked this several places on many sites and have yet to see how to do this. Can anyone help?

Check this guys videos out, when you are going to put it back together watch the BHO video which he includes...

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=rjs3484&view=videos

Some suggestions, it is a different conversion the the X39 or 223 rifles... First their are no rivets to drill out on the side of the receiver, there are only 2 pins you push through you must remove the wire spring that holds the trigger & hammer pins first, then remove the trigger before the hammer.... For the trigger guard you have to follow the instructions given on the video but there are 2 additional rivets that I had to grind down before the bottom plate came off..

Do not use the template for the pistol grip hole (which you will have to cut out) it is for a X39 & 223 not the 308.. The best I can describe where the hole gets cut is as follows:

When you take the bottom plate out you will see a rectangular slot where the original trigger pass through. measure your pistol grip nut and center it about 1/4" before the butt end of the rectangular slot..

post-12142-1234754465.jpg

I did mine today, so these are some of the problems I ran into. I had to cut my PG nut in half because it was too long and I am unable to use a retaining plate because I can not put the safety lever back in, I have a post under Saiga conversion and hope someone has a trick so that I can use it instead of the retaining wire...

Well good luck it took me about 5-6 hours doing it slow and watching the videos... GL

Check this guys videos out, when you are going to put it back together watch the BHO video which he includes...

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=rjs3484&view=videos

Some suggestions, it is a different conversion the the X39 or 223 rifles... First their are no rivets to drill out on the side of the receiver, there are only 2 pins you push through you must remove the wire spring that holds the trigger & hammer pins first, then remove the trigger before the hammer.... For the trigger guard you have to follow the instructions given on the video but there are 2 additional rivets that I had to grind down before the bottom plate came off..

Do not use the template for the pistol grip hole (which you will have to cut out) it is for a X39 & 223 not the 308.. The best I can describe where the hole gets cut is as follows:

When you take the bottom plate out you will see a rectangular slot where the original trigger pass through. measure your pistol grip nut and center it about 1/4" before the butt end of the rectangular slot..

post-12142-1234754465.jpg

I did mine today, so these are some of the problems I ran into. I had to cut my PG nut in half because it was too long and I am unable to use a retaining plate because I can not put the safety lever back in, I have a post under Saiga conversion and hope someone has a trick so that I can use it instead of the retaining wire...

Well good luck it took me about 5-6 hours doing it slow and watching the videos... GL

Ive already done the PG conversion part, mine had the nut hole already there. I just need to put the G2 group in with the BHO. The link you posted has 18 videos in it ,which ones should I watch? Thanks for the info!

Ive already done the PG conversion part, mine had the nut hole already there. I just need to put the G2 group in with the BHO. The link you posted has 18 videos in it ,which ones should I watch? Thanks for the info!

Lucky you about the hole for the PG, see:

Just an FYI the retaining plate may work for you, I purchased a Red Star Arms trigger group for mine.... GL

The part of the hammer through which the cross pin passes is too wide on the G2 for the BHO to fit. You will need to grind a bit from the side where the BHO goes. Your Saiga hammer can be used as a guide to how much material to remove.

In order for your safety to work, material needs to be added (by welding and grinding) to either the FCG or the safety.

If you're not comfortable doing that, a standard AK safety will work with the G2 FCG.

Here's one:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.p...products_id/304

Edited by cma g21