wtk: How 2 use FAL Izzy HB Handguards on a S12?

I seem to remember someone posting that they had used a pair of FN FAL Izzy Heavy Barrel Handguards on a S12. I have never got to hold a pair up to a naked S12 to see what would need to be done. I am curious if there is anyone here that has tried it, and how wel and tight that they were made to fit?

I think it can be done and you can still find them pretty cheap to play with. I gave mine to Shannon earlier in the year, you might try contacting him to see if he's had time to play. More or less looked like you have to fabricate a front and rear hanger, and open up the gas tube shield just a bit to fit around the S12 tube. It looks pretty sweet, but unless you have big hands I'm not sure how the big round HB handguard would feel to swing on a shotgun?

I think it can be done and you can still find them pretty cheap to play with. I gave mine to Shannon earlier in the year, you might try contacting him to see if he's had time to play. More or less looked like you have to fabricate a front and rear hanger, and open up the gas tube shield just a bit to fit around the S12 tube. It looks pretty sweet, but unless you have big hands I'm not sure how the big round HB handguard would feel to swing on a shotgun?

Thanks, since he has not responded perhaps he has not had the time to mess with them. I am not interested in them unless I can get a really tight fit. I hard things that fit poorly on a firearm! I may pick up some at the next Gunshow to see how big a project this is!

I like the shape and size, my hands are huge. I thought that I saw someone that had a pair mounted on this board? Thanks!

If you're interested, I have a naked S12 in mid conversion, and 2 sets of those handguards. I can set them up and see what they look like, how much would be required, etc.

I am pretty interested but I don't want you to go way out of your way. I know time in money, but I would be interested in your input.

Looking at 6500RPM's pics gave me some insight. I was thinking like two split Collet type rings would have to be fabricated, but there may be a easier/better way.

Well, I'm sitting here now with the aforementioned S12 and the Izzy handguard. First off, it can be done, but it will require some mods.

The handguard runs about 3" past the gas block with the rear end against the receiver. The ventilated part that meets up top in front of the wood covered section would have to be trimmed, as it's right at the gas block. About 1" of that part is past the end of the gas block, and would interfere with adjusting the plug. It woul have to be trimmed down.

The two sides can be welded together to make a solid piece, and a block welded in the bottom to use the factory mounting screw. It will take a little more, but a piece could be made and welded inside the rear to fir the receiver, also like factory.

If the rear metal section under the wood panels was trimmed carefully, a small spacer block could be installed that would eliminate play, and it would lock into the front of the receiver well, with the wood just overlapping the end of the receiver.

I know I could do it without too much trouble. Damn, now you guys got me thinking. I might just have to make this happen now.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got FNC hand guards on my S308. They had to be trimmed at the front. I made a ring retainer for the rear out of an electrical conduit nut, and used a screw-pin to hold them in place through the gas block. They don't completely close around the gas tube, however they do butt up at the bends and bled in pretty nice. I'll get some pics up after I finnish mounting my ACE scope mount and scope.