MODIFIED CYLINDER Choke Tube

ANY of you .410 folks out there ever have a MODIFIED CHOKE TUBE???

I have the full, and the improved cylinder, and two thread protectors.... cause when I bought the CHOKE PACKAGE from EAA... they sent me the FULL, the IMPORVED, and an extra Threa dProtector, but I NEVER got a Number 2, Modiofied Choke... my buddy who did the same thing didnt either....

SO..... Any of you folks out there GOT ONE???? SEEN ONE??? got a CLUE where one can be FOUND??? do they even EXIST this side of the motherland?

Well, thats the reason I asked... I was under the impression that you could get them for the 12 gauge, and 20 gauges, but not any for the .410... and then I saw that little thing on the chart showing them.... so I was just wondering if they really DID exist... I probably should send my Oompa Loompa's out to find me one... I will have better luck if THEY look for one, I think! :smoke:

While on this choke subject , does anyone have one on their 410 like this one? Does anyone know what it's for. I have never used chokes on any of my other shotguns so forgive my ignorance. If I measured right the inside diameter at the end is.369" or .041" smaller than .410. What kind of shot is this meant for? It's the only one that came with my gun and has no markings. I have been using it for slugs and shot. Also what are the holes for?

Thanks

post-4-1106239554.jpg

A full choke that's ported? Interesting, very interesting. The tapered full choke (marked "No 3") that came with my .410 has no such porting. Wonder how it affects the .410 when firing shot shells?

That's what I would like to know. EAA sure was not any help. Does the #3 full look just like mine without the porting? Can't you tell if it's full by the inside measurement at the end? I've shot #2,3,& 4 shot thru it as well as slugs. I guess I should remove it and compare the shot pattern with and without. Any Ideas on what shot and at what distance? I have some #2 and #3. Shouldn't make any difference with the slugs should it?

IndyArms what is reasonable?

A full choke that's ported? . . . Wonder how it affects the .410 when firing shot shells?

That's what I would like to know. EAA sure was not any help. Does the #3 full look just like mine without the porting? Can't you tell if it's full by the inside measurement at the end? I've shot #2,3,& 4 shot thru it as well as slugs. I guess I should remove it and compare the shot pattern with and without. Any Ideas on what shot and at what distance? I have some #2 and #3. Shouldn't make any difference with the slugs should it?

Cobra,

The #3 that came with my Saiga looks exactly like your ported full choke -- except for the absence of any holes. As I don't have the necessary calipers, I can't measure the choke.

As I bought my Saiga for home defensive purposes, I wouldn't try to use shot shells at distances greater than 25 feet. I know from when my father used a .410 to dispatch a 50 lb dog many years ago that it can be absolutely devestating at about 15 feet even with #7 or #7 1/2 shot.

Some people have fired slugs through full-choke barrels with apparently no ill effects (at least not in the short run). I've always heard, though, that it is best to use the cylinder bore choke with slugs in order to prevent deforming the slugs.

The distance for using slugs? The Russian Saiga website makes the claim that the Saiga is actually combat accurate with slugs out to between 70-80 yards/meters.

Thanks Aethelbert,

Maybe someone will chime in that can help me figure out what kind of choke I have. Then I can figure out which ones I still need if any. If mine is a full choke like it appears to be then why would I even want another? From what little I think I know about chokes, a full choke compresses the shot pattern as much as possible. From shooting at paper targets I can tell the pattern is still over a foot wide at around 50 feet. Why would I want to spread it any thinner than that unless I was trying to hit a bird in flight from the hip? Like I said I have never used chokes on my 12 or my 20 so I don't know much about their uses. I assume with a thread protector it would be no different than just leaving mine off. What does a modified choke do? Medium compression? Do any of these effect backpressure and therefor cycling. Sorry for so many questions I don't have any books on the subject and there's nothing in my manual about it.

Cobra -It's just bad juju to shoot slugs through a full choke. Get a 'thread protector' for slugs. If your choke is stamped 3 it is full. The holes in the shoke are to relieve the gas pressure in the rear of the shot cup. In theory it should tighten up the pattern.

G O B

Cobra -It's just bad juju to shoot slugs through a full choke. Get a 'thread protector' for slugs. If your choke is stamped 3 it is full. The holes in the choke are to relieve the gas pressure on the rear of the shot cup. In theory it should tighten up the pattern.

G O B

Thanks GOB

no one has ever told me that. the guy who sold me my gun sold me a bunch of slugs with it and that's all I shot through it for a while.

My choke does not have any numbers on it or any flat sides

Edited by Cobra 76 two

I just measured the FULL CHOKE tube on MY .410....

The FULL CHOKE tube ........................... mic'd out to (appx) .385"

The IMPROVED CYLINDER choke tube......mic'd out to (appx) .405

The THREAD PROTECTOR... well, it completely outside the threads... so you are measuring the barrel diameter with that on...

( mind you my micrometer isnt the BEST in the world... but its fairly decent...)

If yours measured out to .369.... then I would say its an EXTRA FULL choke!!!

Certainly NOT one I would dare shoot slugs out of for fear of ruining it... (splitting/cracking)

I hope that helps...

Edited by IndyArms

Thanks Indy. Maybe I will scrape up some cash and take you up on that thread protector. Could I send you a money order? You have the whole set of chokes. What kind of difference have you noticed in shot patterns? Would it be worth my getting some more?

Honestly.... when I hunt, I hunt with the FULL CHOKE... I ONLY bought the full set cause as I mentioned earlier in the post, they were 18.00 each and a "whole set" for 45.00... LITTLE did I know at the time that a "whole set" wouldnt have a MODIFIED choke... just the full, improved cylinder, and thread protector.... needless to say I was pretty pissed off about that... could have saved a few bucks and JUST bought the full and IC... as I already had the TP...

My Improved cylinder choke is STILL BRAND NEW, and has NEVER had a round fired thru it... if I shoot slugs, I put the thread protector back on... if I hunt, on goes the Full... that seems to be the ONLY two I need.... the TP and FULL...

But... thats just me. :smoke:

A money order would be fine, I also accept paypal...

Email me at mikeindy@adelphia.net we can square that up if you decide you want it...

The choke with holes in it is the full choke that came with early imported Saiga 410's. The choke set I got from EAA had a No3,No1,and a thread protector.

Here is a pic of the chokes.

saiga410chokeset7ap.jpg

Here is the certificate that came with the choke set. So according to it the No1 is a modified choke.

saiga410chokessmaller6pb.jpg