Go to the ATF website, click on Firearms, then on Forms, and print off Form 5320.10 (Form 10). Fill it out in duplicate and send it to the ATF. They will send you an approved copy back. Then go shoot the gun.

The gun would still be transferable, but only to another government agency.

Tony

Hey Tony,

Where can I get that information. Being a Municipal agency in Florida, we are not allowed to sell or trade seized guns to any person or agency. We have to turn them over to the Sheriff of the county we are located in for disposal. The SO can then destroy trade or sell to other agencies or dealers. If the information I have is incorrect I would like to be able to back it up with documentation before I act on it (and I do believe that it would be worth looking at for our dept).

I saw that Salt Peter said that he was from Pinellas County but the car in his avatar looks more like a municipal agency vehicle than a Sheriff's Office vehicle.

Go here >>>>> http://www.atf.gov/forms/5000.htm#firearms

Click on the Form 5320.10 (Form 10) and read the instruction page.

Last 2 lines of Section 2 under Special Notice.

"When registration of a firearm on this form by a government entity is approved, the Bureau will approve subsequent transfer of such firearm to another qualified governmental entity only, for official use. Otherwise, such firearm must be destroyed or abandoned to ATF."

Tony

Go here >>>>> http://www.atf.gov/forms/5000.htm#firearms

Click on the Form 5320.10 (Form 10) and read the instruction page.

Last 2 lines of Section 2 under Special Notice.

"When registration of a firearm on this form by a government entity is approved, the Bureau will approve subsequent transfer of such firearm to another qualified governmental entity only, for official use. Otherwise, such firearm must be destroyed or abandoned to ATF."

Tony

Thanks, I will definitely look into it.

• 2 months later...

I picked one up (mp-40) from a trash truck driver who called the pd after he found it in the street during his route. It had the serial numbers ground off, a bullet jacket caught in the barrel and was pretty beat up. I place it in evidence and told the range staff they should put in the inventory at the range. They keep a stock of various weapons so that new recruits can learn how to handle them and clear them for the porperty section. The idea was also to get some range play while it lived out there. The chief at the time was anti gun and ordered it to be destoryed. Bumer......