I have shot the .357 snubby, the recoil doesn't bug me at all and I'm hoping to get as long barrel as I can and still carry. I'll take a look at the S&W, thanks.

Did you shoot a light .357 snubby? Even if you can handle the recoil, can you do follow up shots quickly. And I doubt if the gun can handle having too many hot .357 magnum being shot through it. I recommend getting a Ruger SP101. It is all steel, built like a tank. I carry mine in a SmartCarry holster. Have some action work done on it to improve the trigger. I had Gemini Customs work on mine.

What do you mean when you say you doubt the gun can handle having too many hot .357 magnum shot through it? Do you mean the structural integrity of the gun?

Two gunsmiths I talked to said the S&W Airweight and Scandiums cannot stand the long term effects of thousands of rounds of hot .357 magnums. They would break. They had seen it several times. Stainless steel guns like the SP101 can handle tens of thousands of rounds without a problem. That was their opinion. I have seen anecdotal evidence of this reported on a few forums.

Thanks for the tip. Airweights are out for sure then. I may never shoot that many rounds but if I buy a revolver I want one that will last lifetimes. Extra weight for me is not that big of deal if it means I'll get a more durable gun.

I have shot the .357 snubby, the recoil doesn't bug me at all and I'm hoping to get as long barrel as I can and still carry. I'll take a look at the S&W, thanks.

Did you shoot a light .357 snubby? Even if you can handle the recoil, can you do follow up shots quickly. And I doubt if the gun can handle having too many hot .357 magnum being shot through it. I recommend getting a Ruger SP101. It is all steel, built like a tank. I carry mine in a SmartCarry holster. Have some action work done on it to improve the trigger. I had Gemini Customs work on mine.

It's not that hard to put a 1000 rounds through a gun. Let's say you practice monthly with 20 rounds (I do about 20-50 weekly). After just over 4 years you would have put 1000 rounds through the gun.

What do you mean when you say you doubt the gun can handle having too many hot .357 magnum shot through it? Do you mean the structural integrity of the gun?

Two gunsmiths I talked to said the S&W Airweight and Scandiums cannot stand the long term effects of thousands of rounds of hot .357 magnums. They would break. They had seen it several times. Stainless steel guns like the SP101 can handle tens of thousands of rounds without a problem. That was their opinion. I have seen anecdotal evidence of this reported on a few forums.

Thanks for the tip. Airweights are out for sure then. I may never shoot that many rounds but if I buy a revolver I want one that will last lifetimes. Extra weight for me is not that big of deal if it means I'll get a more durable gun.

Like you wouldn't have major arthritis problems or brittle bone syndrome in your hand long before that happens anyway. :lol:

post-88-1229992215.gif

The main problem I've seen with the scandium S&Ws is that the blast from the gap between the barrel and cylinder eats away at the top of the frame. The new ones come with a replaceable stainless shield for this reason. Also, the lightest ones, I believe it's the ones with titanium cylinders, limit you choice of bullet weights. IIRC, those guns recoil so much that they can start to pull the bullets from their cases. IF I ever got one, it would have the stainless cylinder.

Yes, if wight is not a big deal and you want a gun that can be shot often and last years you should get a stainless model. I guess you've changed you mind about the lightweight models? They fill a niche, but it's a pretty small one.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone gave you such boring, traditional, tried and true suggestions! What about something super-modern and unproven, with expensive proprietary ammunition that's likely to be banned under the new anti-gun regime, and hard plastic grips that are highly uncomfortable? I'm talking of course about an FN Five-SeveN. Low recoil, 20-round magazine capacity, and 5.7x28 ballistic tip ammunition is readily available. It may be a teensy bit big for a concealed carry, but hey, it's a potentially effective (and assuredly fun) alternative.