7.62 vs .308 conversion

I have just completed the conversion of my 7.62 from the sport format to the AK format. I am very pleased with the outcome. Parts were easy to come by and information that I had on "how to" was exceptional.

I am looking to do a conversion on a .308, I have been researching parts such as the FCG, Piston, Stock sets and bullet guide I don't find anything specific to the .308. Are these the same components I used in my 7.62 conversion. (I know the bullet guides are different for the 7.62 and .223, but I machined my own)

Also for my 7.62 I replaced mag followers and floorplates with U.S. made just to give me some points cushion, I am not finding such for the .308.

Any information would be appreciated.

I have just completed the conversion of my 7.62 from the sport format to the AK format. I am very pleased with the outcome. Parts were easy to come by and information that I had on "how to" was exceptional.

I am looking to do a conversion on a .308, I have been researching parts such as the FCG, Piston, Stock sets and bullet guide I don't find anything specific to the .308. Are these the same components I used in my 7.62 conversion. (I know the bullet guides are different for the 7.62 and .223, but I machined my own)

Also for my 7.62 I replaced mag followers and floorplates with U.S. made just to give me some points cushion, I am not finding such for the .308.

I have never done a 7.62, I have done a S-12 and am in the middle of my .308. I am just waiting for my FCG. I used the Tromix moded FCG in my S-12 and I am waiting for my Dinzag modded FCG for my .308 If you use a regular G2 you will have to grind at some point

The .308 does not need a bullet guide instaled. Aftermarket mags such as surefires are all US parts. The FBMG's current gen only count as one part as the followers and floorplates are imported.

I hope i have helped some

I have never done a 7.62, I have done a S-12 and am in the middle of my .308. I am just waiting for my FCG. I used the Tromix moded FCG in my S-12 and I am waiting for my Dinzag modded FCG for my .308 If you use a regular G2 you will have to grind at some point

The .308 does not need a bullet guide instaled. Aftermarket mags such as surefires are all US parts. The FBMG's current gen only count as one part as the followers and floorplates are imported.

I hope i have helped some

just curious, why do a conversion?

do you guys have pics?

Why do conversions?

There are several reasons, some have to do with the price of a Saiga vs. the retail price of an Ak 47 or 74. Retail for a Saiga 7.62 is less than $400, conversion parts vary depending on what you want to make it.

To me that is the driver, its what I make it to be. My own custom, retooled by me.

The other is the history of the AK, take the time to read how it came about being how long its been around and the fact that there has been little design change in all of those years.

And maybe the other element is the challenge of doing it, and staying in the rules while you do it.

Edited by Red Fly