Hunting with a Short Barrel Shotgun.

Hi, when I first got my dirty little hands on the Saiga-12, I noticed how large the Saiga is compared with the AKs I've handled. So I'm considering cutting the barrel down. But I plan on to using the Saiga for hunting. From ducks to rabbits to deer. So, has any of you guys ever hunted with a shortened barrel? How does it compare to a full length barrel? Is is a big disadvantage when shooting flying game? What will be the recommended barrel length for hunting?

Cheers!

Hi, when I first got my dirty little hands on the Saiga-12, I noticed how large the Saiga is compared with the AKs I've handled. So I'm considering cutting the barrel down. But I plan on to using the Saiga for hunting. From ducks to rabbits to deer. So, has any of you guys ever hunted with a shortened barrel? How does it compare to a full length barrel? Is is a big disadvantage when shooting flying game? What will be the recommended barrel length for hunting?

Cheers!

Depending on what you plan to hunt then the shorter the barrel you have then you will also lose accuracy to some degree. The shorter the barrel the wider the pattern for shot and therefore a lesser EFFECTIVE range for the gun. For slugs you will lose velocity and accuracy at distances. My 19" gun shoots a head shot at 100yds with the right slug and I shoot #6 shot to keep a tighter pattern with the birdshot with the cylinder bore. Hope this helps.

Its illegal to hunt with NFA weapons.

If it wasent I would have went deer hunting with a machine gun already.

That may be in your state, but in some states it is perfectly legal to hunt with NFA items.

I know a few fella's in Texas that put a hurtin' on wild pigs all the time with an M16.