308 conversion help!

Ok, so I got the 308 taken down and put back together. Now I can't get the bolt carrier to go back in. It's like something beneath it is sticking up too high. I had to use the original hammer, rather than grind down the Tapco one. Do I need to grind the trigger hook though? Or Do I need to grind the dosconnector down? Anybody had any experience with this?

When you put the bolt+carrier back in, you have to push the hammer down a bit to get it onto the rails, since the bottom of the carrier and the bolt are what resets the hammer after each shot. Just make sure the bolt is all the way forward in the carrier.

Hope that made sense,

Acer

I have one that does that, did it from day one. May not be the same issue you are having. I have to wiggle and push the carrier until it pops into the receiver. Then it slides home just fine. I did the conversion and of course the same issue. You shouldn't need to mod the trigger or disconector at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a "trick" that makes it much easier to get the bolt carrier back into my converted .308:

With the trigger held back push the hammer down so the disconnector hook holds it down rather than the trigger hook. Insert the bolt carrier while keeping the trigger back. The disconnector holds the hammer lower in the receiver than the trigger does. I guess this should make it easier on all AK variants?

• 3 months later...
Ok, so I got the 308 taken down and put back together. Now I can't get the bolt carrier to go back in. It's like something beneath it is sticking up too high. I had to use the original hammer, rather than grind down the Tapco one. Do I need to grind the trigger hook though? Or Do I need to grind the dosconnector down? Anybody had any experience with this?

I have heard of people using the org. hammer in their 308 does it work without any problem

I have heard of people using the org. hammer in their 308 does it work without any problem

I think the original hammer would work, but then you'd have to find another part to replace for 922r compliance.