Saiga builders

I was wondering if anyone knew any private hobbyist builders that do a good job on conversions. I am sending one of my rifles to redstick but they're is a long waiting list. Most of the commercial builders on this site have a long waiting list as well. I wanted a standard saiga pistol grip conversion, ability to use standard ak mags, Aperature sights welded on, and a muzzle brake installed. If anyone knows anyone or can do the conversion PM me please. Thank you

I've always been a DYI guy so take my 2c with that in mind.

Everything you listed minus the aperture sight can be done with a drill, dremel, and some other very common tools that everyone should have anyway(hammer, random screw drivers, etc).

Ive seen AK receiver covers with HK and similar style sights already welded on them go on gunbroker.com though.

This is a perfect forum to learn how to do the conversion. Just swapping out the FCG and stock is very straight forward. Dinzag sells/rents everything you need to thread your barrel and use whatever muzzle brake you want.

Apologize for not answering your question but I hope I pushed you over to the DYI side :)

I've always been a DYI guy so take my 2c with that in mind.

Everything you listed minus the aperture sight can be done with a drill, dremel, and some other very common tools that everyone should have anyway(hammer, random screw drivers, etc).

Ive seen AK receiver covers with HK and similar style sights already welded on them go on gunbroker.com though.

This is a perfect forum to learn how to do the conversion. Just swapping out the FCG and stock is very straight forward. Dinzag sells/rents everything you need to thread your barrel and use whatever muzzle brake you want.

Apologize for not answering your question but I hope I pushed you over to the DYI side :)

vote number 2 for do it yourself... as hard and as scary as it may seem its really hard to mess up.. i have ZERO gun smithing ability and ZERO firearms knowledge (prior to to coming to this site) but im on my second conversion already and id never do it any other way.... the knowledge is all here.. and it is IMO an excellent way to learn your rifle inside and out..

I just added a rear peep sight to my receiver cover

it seems sturdy enough and looks decent

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet

Saiga top covers dont seem as loose as other AKs top covers

But if you are welding a rear sight on the cover you would run into the same problem

the peep sight I added didnt require any welding

I just added a rear peep sight to my receiver cover

it seems sturdy enough and looks decent

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet

Saiga top covers dont seem as loose as other AKs top covers

But if you are welding a rear sight on the cover you would run into the same problem

the peep sight I added didnt require any welding

more info on said sight please..

If I do the pistol grip conversion myself, what would I need to rivet the bullet guide and the holes for pistol grip. Also, I'm assuming I can just purchase the aperture sights and get them welded on by a welder. There's a lot of information on this forum and I've had trouble locating a step by step guide to doing a solid conversion. The information is scattered and I'm a little confused on the differing procedures everyone has used

If I do the pistol grip conversion myself, what would I need to rivet the bullet guide and the holes for pistol grip. Also, I'm assuming I can just purchase the aperture sights and get them welded on by a welder. There's a lot of information on this forum and I've had trouble locating a step by step guide to doing a solid conversion. The information is scattered and I'm a little confused on the differing procedures everyone has used

Here ya go. This is a step-by-step photo guide for Saiga-12's:

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78711

-thirtycal

thirtycal,

you need an account to view that and thats for a saiga 12.

Heres the more common step by step guide:

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

The bullet guide you get from dinzag screws into place and his kit comes with a drill bit and tap to make the threaded hole in the receiver.

The trigger guard is usually riveted but you can just use socket cap screws.

You could purchase the aperture sights and have someone else weld them but then you might as well just purchase a receiver cover that already has them welded on.

Here is the rear peep sight I rigged up.

I didn't come up with this idea. I found someone else that did this and just did it to my gun.

Like I said, it seems pretty solid and no welding was required.

I picked up a williams peep sight. I took out the smaller aperture so it doesn't get knocked around in my safe. Its a it like the flip style A2 sight in the fact there are big and little apertures.

I then tapped the holes for an 8-32 bolt.

p1040716fp2.jpg

Then using the base as a template I drilled two holes in the top receiver. I smoothed the edges with a file and then permablued the exposed metal. Its under the sight base so cosmetically its a moot point.

p1040714ty7.jpg

I then threaded two lock-tighted bolts through the receiver cover and into the sight base. I had to grind down the length of the screws a bit.

p1040712mi4.jpg

The sight installed on the cover with the smaller aperture removed. The curvature of the sight base matches the receiver cover well.

p1040711cr2.jpg

Receiver cover mounted on the rifle. It seems very sturdy, but I haven't shot it yet to see how well it holds a zero.

p1040719df7.jpg

View from the peep hole. See how it matches the receiver curve.

p1040724jc5.jpg

Front sight pin through the rear sight. I am going to ditch the rear sight blade in favor of a home grown larue irondot so as to co-witness the sights.

p1040720fv3.jpg

Once again this is not my idea, I merely copied something I had seen elsewhere.

Paternoster 2012, dude thats looks fukn sweet! I just got an idea. Get a low profile rail,hit it with a dremel to fit the radius of the dust cover. Drill two holes and tap the rail. Punch two holes in the dust cover and run a couple machine screws inside out to secure the rail. Slap on a back up iron sight from an AR and play around. Shit I need to get a rail now.

I was gonna try and rig something up like this here

fld146qp8.jpg

fld147uo1.jpg

I figure with that being so low profile, it will easily co-witness with the rear sight

However, everything is on hold now, don't wanna spend a ton of coin on a rifle I won't get to shoot for a couple years

Paternoster 2012, dude thats looks fukn sweet! I just got an idea. Get a low profile rail,hit it with a dremel to fit the radius of the dust cover. Drill two holes and tap the rail. Punch two holes in the dust cover and run a couple machine screws inside out to secure the rail. Slap on a back up iron sight from an AR and play around. Shit I need to get a rail now.
Edited by paternoster2012