A stock options question

Will someone tell me once and for all, is the rear of the Saiga 12 receiver the same as a stamped AK receiver? Can I attach basically any AK compatible stock either with the tangs or once they are ground off. Specifically, could I attach a folding wire stock or would I need some adaptor? Just a lesson for a newbie all in one place would be greatly appreciated. I have read about "angles of the rear of the receiver", adaptors, weld-on attachments, internal and external blocks. It gets confusing for my feeble mind :eek:

All help greatly appreciated.

eseaton

Nope, pretty much the same. Some pro gunsmiths cut a slight angle on the back of the receiver change the angle of the stock. That was not necessary for my stock (Ace), your mileage may vary.

BTT for more info.

Any recommendations on a durable folder that has a "easy" installation with clean looking mounting brackets/parts? Reasonable price important but overall second to good quality and looks.

Thanks

eseaton

So just to make it clear to another newbie, the Saiga receiver is the Same as a stamped AK reciever. So I wooden AK Stock would bolt right up.. no modifications? not trying to steal the thread.. just confused also...

Correct basically.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, an AK-47 stock will fit into a Saiga 12 receiver without modification if (and only if) the trigger assembly has been moved forward, which is typically done as part of a conversion that includes a pistol grip.

If the trigger assembly is left in the factory position, an unmodified AK-47 stock cannot be inserted into a Saiga-12 receiver.

If you have your factory Saiga-12 stock, you can see the three places where modifications to an AK-47 stock would have to be made to accommodate the factory trigger assembly. First, the Saiga-12 stock has a notch cut into the bottom of the inlet block, which is necessary to clear the factory trigger assembly. If you look at a profile view of an AK-47 inlet, you won't see that notch. Second, a small channel is cut into the bottom of what remains of the Saiga-12 stock's inlet block in order to clear the rivet that attaches the trigger guard to the bottom of the receiver. Third, because an AK-47 stock has no cutaway to accommodate the tang that extends back from the trigger guard, either a cutaway must be routed into the stock (and a screw hole drilled) or the tang must be ground off.

I had to make those three modifications to get an AK-47 replacement stock to fit into my Saiga-12 with the trigger assembly in the factory position. I am near completion of the project now (just waiting for some added plastic stuff to cure) and will post pics when finished, if successful. But I stress that I have only done this one time to one AK-47 style stock, so generalization from my experience may not be wise.

I would be happy to receive corrections or further observations from anyone who has made this match work.

Folding stock recommendation... Either the Tromix folding stock or the ACE folding stock. The important thing is the folding hinge or mechanism. In either case both the above mentioned stocks use the ACE hinge. I hate a wobbly, limp wristed, cattywampus, loose, difficult to deploy, difficult to stow, zero cheek weld folding stock, so, I did my research and went with the ACE. The only problem is dealing with ACE. I don't think they are out and out disshonest, but I think they have possibly too many irons in the fire and are often slow to ship and laxidasical about answering their phone. They make one hell of a product, though. You will be pleased with an ACE folder. I love both (soon to be three) of mine. Oh, yeah... one more thing... I recomend the internal receiver block.