My .223 conversion is finished

Having lurked here for a while, I finally got my parts in for the conversion. Many thanks to all of those that posted so much helpful info in the forum. It is much appreciated.

Good, bad, or otherwise, you are welcome to check mine out. Hopefully someone else will find it useful in the future.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/saiga/saiga-1.htm

saiga223-43.jpg

Edited by arizona98tj

Great job of documenting that, Arizona! I'm sure that will be very helpful to the people wanting to do this conversion.

I have a question about the final results, though. I notice that when I shoulder mine, I get a very good cheek weld when looking at the iron sights. However, when I put my red dot on, it puts my line of sight 1 1/2" higher, and my cheek weld is more like a chin weld. What is your solution to this problem? (I'm working on my own solution, a removable add-on cheek-piece, but haven't found the material I need yet.)

Thanks all. Glad to be able to give something back to the community. My entire site is designed around the details in how to do a project or modification, albeit the vast majority of it is for TJ owners. The firearms section hasn't been on-line that long yet....the Jeep section is rolling into its 10th year in a few more months.

Heron,

After I get to the range (hopefully between today and Sunday), I'll have a better idea as to how it mounts and what changes I will hope to do. One thing I did notice so far is that my eye relief is a little shorter than I prefer. The scope is fine but it is set back a bit too far....or more so, the stock is a little shorter than it needs to be. For the iron sights, it does fine, but with the optics installed, I wish the stock was a bit longer and so the scope was a little further forward. As configured now, I cannot position the scope further forward. The TAPCO stock was a quick solution to getting rid of the factory stock. I'm considering a replacement for it a little way down the road.

Thanks all. Glad to be able to give something back to the community. My entire site is designed around the details in how to do a project or modification, albeit the vast majority of it is for TJ owners. The firearms section hasn't been on-line that long yet....the Jeep section is rolling into its 10th year in a few more months.

Heron,

After I get to the range (hopefully between today and Sunday), I'll have a better idea as to how it mounts and what changes I will hope to do. One thing I did notice so far is that my eye relief is a little shorter than I prefer. The scope is fine but it is set back a bit too far....or more so, the stock is a little shorter than it needs to be. For the iron sights, it does fine, but with the optics installed, I wish the stock was a bit longer and so the scope was a little further forward. As configured now, I cannot position the scope further forward. The TAPCO stock was a quick solution to getting rid of the factory stock. I'm considering a replacement for it a little way down the road.

Thanks for the walk thru on the convertion, i'll be using it as soon as i get my parts, would you tell me where you're getting your adapter for the ar mags and what it cost? Thanks again for the very good info, i own a dremel and a little drill press and will get the cobalt bits. I'm like you on the front stock only i put 3 slots in mine and bobed the front, will post pics soon as its done, thanks again JT.

Heron,

Thanks for the walk thru on the convertion, i'll be using it as soon as i get my parts, would you tell me where you're getting your adapter for the ar mags and what it cost? Thanks again for the very good info, i own a dremel and a little drill press and will get the cobalt bits. I'm like you on the front stock only i put 3 slots in mine and bobed the front, will post pics soon as its done, thanks again JT.

This conversion write up will be around a long time.Great pics and maybe the best how to I've seen.Thanks,Dan

Did you do all of that with a hand drill or did you use a drill press? I may attempt the conversion after all.

I have a small bench top drill press (i.e., not a floor model but rather it sits on the work bench). Got it years ago from Sears. It has paid for itself many, many, many times over.

From a vendor right here on this site.....here is the link to the thread.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=30759

• 3 weeks later...