I've decided that even though I'm relocating to a class 3 state in a couple of months, I don't want to risk being caught without a handgun in the midst of a firearms price explosion after the inauguration. So I'm off to get this HSC out of the way and get me a sidearm now.

I'm still a little undecided on what to get though, since opinions vary tremendously. Based on secondhand opinions I'm inclined towards a CZ-75 in either 9mm or 40SW. I am more attracted to the 1911s, but the price is a bit steep and it seems that the risk of a lemon is a bit higher than I like to see. So based on this, what do the experts think?

CZ-75 in 9mm all the way. Cheaper ammo, great ergonomics, combat proven, high capacity and superb accuracy. My only suggestion would be to get one with a thumb safety and not the decocker. The DA pull on CZs is a bit long and heavy, keep it in condition one for nice SA trigger pull. A new one should cost in the $500 range depending on bells and whistles. They used to sell for under $400 but not anymore. I have two CZ-75 SP01s that I bought for $509, but that was how long ago? SP01s come with tritium sights and rail as standard and a 18+1 capacity (can take standard 15 or 16 round CZ mags too) which makes them a very good choice.

CZ-75 in 9mm all the way. Cheaper ammo, great ergonomics, combat proven, high capacity and superb accuracy. My only suggestion would be to get one with a thumb safety and not the decocker. The DA pull on CZs is a bit long and heavy, keep it in condition one for nice SA trigger pull. A new one should cost in the $500 range depending on bells and whistles. They used to sell for under $400 but not anymore. I have two CZ-75 SP01s that I bought for $509, but that was how long ago? SP01s come with tritium sights and rail as standard and a 18+1 capacity (can take standard 15 or 16 round CZ mags too) which makes them a very good choice.

I saw one at Sportsman's Warehouse for $475, I think, in .40SW and without bells or whistles. No tritium sights. :( My biggest concern with the CZ is parts availability (especially with the looming possibility of an import ban). I suppose though if it's as durable as I'm reading, it shouldn't really be a big concern.

The CZ is a great pistol and one of the best 9mm made. You might also look at the XD-45. I have one in 5" tactical model and love it! Hard hitting with no question of stopping power and ammo is still reasonable. Its one of the best selling 45. cals out there. Also has great features. Grip safety. trigger safety loaded chamber indicator and striker indicator. The mags hold 13 rounds each and cost around $21.00

Edited by eadodd
Since it looks like you are attracted to all steel construction, check out a Beretta 92/96. Great gun, I had one while I went through the Academy.

I used to arm up with those in the Navy. I have a couple of buddies that swear by them, and I think it's an okay gun. Who knows, I may even come back to it if I decide that everything else is a POS. Admittedly I've only actually shot the M9 and some Sig or another that I wasn't fond of at all.

Thanks everybody for the advice. Keep it comin if you got it!

The Springfield XD-9 is nice too. Not the XDM-9, the XD-9. I have three, the tactical 5", the 4" service and a 4" ported V-10 model. All shoot great, no malfunctions. Once I did 3000 rounds during a course over the weekend, no malfunctions. 16+1 capacity and the XD cost much less then XDM. Great ergonomics also, very CZ-75 like. I have too much invested in XD-9 accessories to switch models for a more expensive one. ALso the XD is tested, the XDM is not. Your choice though. Both should come with 2 mags, holster and mag carrier as part of package if bought new.

I also think a Taurus PT92/99 are worth a look. They are actually Berettas made on original Beretta tooling that was sold to Taurus after the Brazilian army contract ran out for Beretta. The plus side is at leas $200 less then a Beretta and frame mounted thumb safety/decocker. You can carry this condition one, cocked and locked, or decock for DA trigger first shot. Capacity is 17+1 in 9mm. I have two PT99s, one blued and one stainless. The PT 99 has adjustable sights. All the new ones also have an accessory rail on the frame, mine are older without any rails. Very reliable and quite accurate.

BTW, if you get a XD-45 do NOT get the service model, get a tactical. Also avoid all caliber XD subcompacts. The way the captive recoil rod is manufactured it can unscrew and jam your gun up real good. On the other caliber service models (not .45 ACP) you can get a replacement full length guide rod and use 1911 springs for the Springfield 1911 lightweight Compact models. The rod is available from Pistolgear.com. All of the tactical models use a full length guide rod and standard 1911 springs, so it is no issue.

Hope this helps.

Since it looks like you are attracted to all steel construction, check out a Beretta 92/96. Great gun, I had one while I went through the Academy.

Berettas are not all steel, just the slide is. The frame is aluminum alloy. Only exception may be the INOX stainless, but all the others I have handled have had alloy frames and steel slides.

Thanks for all your info, Saigaczech. I'm sold on either a XD or CZ75. My problem now is availability. I'm having a hard time finding these guns with tritium sights in stock locally. How much of a pain is it to install aftermarket sights on either of these pistols? If it's not a big deal, that would make things a lot easier.

BTW, the HSC test is a complete joke. I got 30/30 after glancing at the pamphlet for 90 seconds.

I just picked up a 9mm Commander Sized XD(M) for $550 more or less. It comes with (2) 19 rd magazines + one in the chamber for 20 rounds total. Until January 15, 2009 they also come with a kydex holster, double magazine carrier, carry case, and you can get two extra magazines by filing out the coupon and sending it into Springfield Armory; that's a total of (4) 19 rd magazines. I thought it was a pretty good deal so I picked one up to piss of the anti folks. I'll stick with my 1911 .45acp for carry purposes but there aren't any flies on this thing and it should make good barter material. :)

Until January 15, 2009 they also come with a kydex holster, double magazine carrier, carry case, and you can get two extra magazines by filing out the coupon and sending it into Springfield Armory; that's a total of (4) 19 rd magazines.

I'm intrigued. Is this two-more-extra-magazines thing a 'participating locations' deal, or an incentive just for the XDM series or something?

Edit: Never mind, just checked the SA website. Too bad XDMs aren't available in the PRK...

Edited by JanusthePhoenix