922 opinion--

You'll need to trade the foreign gas piston for a US made piston to keep the fancy wood if you want to use US made 11+ capacity magazines.

You'll need one of Dinzag's modified trigger groups + the aforementioned US piston to use foreign magazines of 11+ round capacity.

Edited by nalioth
What are the opinions of HC mags with this---

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/images/vi...uns/SAI-D-D.jpg

In today's climate, the price is ok-- and I like the wood, but am unsure how 922 applies to this and HC mags--

Thanks in advance!

To use magazines capable of holding more than ten rounds, you'll need to replace 4 listed foreign parts with US made ones.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

There are many options for doing this. If you like the gun as it is, the easiest route is to replace the gas piston and use U.S. made magazines.

Since it's a .223, you could also get one of the AR magazine adapters listed on this site, and stick with US made AR magazines.

If you don't like the stock, you can convert it to pistol grip configuration. If you use US made furniture, you'd elimintate one foreign part replacing the butt stock, and another one for the forend. If you also replace the gas piston, you could use foreign mags as long as you replace the followers or floorplates with US made ones.

Mix and match ideas, and as long as the listed foreign part count is 10 or less you should be good to go (at least as far as 922r).

That is the gun I have and I absolutly love it! What I did for compliance is I got the Tromix modified G2 trigger group from MAA. It is an extremely easy install since you will notice that on the thumbhole stock version of the 223M the trigger is already moved forward. It is a drop in replacement and gives you two US parts. If you couple that with US Mags, you are at 9 forign parts. I paid $430 for mine, but then saw the one at Centerfire for $399. I have not seen these any cheaper, although someone else may have. I will tell you that the wood on mine is very nice and I will definatly be keeping it. If you want to convert it to PG, I would suggest you get the standard stock version as they are generally cheaper. (I think you're paying about $75-$100 for the wood)

Good luck!

One more thing, I would reccomend the Surefire mags. I shot about 500 rounds yesterday and I had two jams. Both of the jams were with the ProMags I have. (I have two ProMags and two Surefire 30 rounders) That's not too bad, but I would spend the couple of extra bucks and get all Surefire if I had it to do over again. That is unless you want to modify it for other mags (non-US made), but then you have to add some more US parts to stay 922r compliant.

I've been going over this 922 stuff and it's making me crazy . . .

I've got the factory Saiga .223, no mods at all. It has 14 foreign parts (if I use the factory 10-rd mag), but it's legal.

Now, I take out the factory mag and put in the 20-rd Surefire mag (3 US parts) -- it's now down to 11 foreign parts, but now it's illegal -- right?

I think the people who wrote this were smoking crack.

If I got a Surefire 10-rd mag and put that in, would it still be illegal? That's 11 foreign parts, but max 10-rd capacity . . .

I've been going over this 922 stuff and it's making me crazy . . .

I've got the factory Saiga .223, no mods at all. It has 14 foreign parts (if I use the factory 10-rd mag), but it's legal.

Now, I take out the factory mag and put in the 20-rd Surefire mag (3 US parts) -- it's now down to 11 foreign parts, but now it's illegal -- right?

I think the people who wrote this were smoking crack.

If I got a Surefire 10-rd mag and put that in, would it still be illegal? That's 11 foreign parts, but max 10-rd capacity . . .

In the factory configuration, it's 922r compliant with magazines capable of holding 10 rounds or less. It doesn't matter where the low capacity magazines are made, as 922r would not apply.

If you want to add 'evil' features to the gun (pistol grip, magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds, etc.) then 922r applies.

Some people depend on US made magazines for compliance. There could be a problem, depending on what other alterations you've made, in using the factory magazine with this. For example; adding the Tapco Intrafuse Saiga T6 Stock and using US made magazines would be compliant, but not with the factory 10 rounder (since adding the pistol grip requires compliance regardless of magazine capacity).

Now, if you keep it in factory configuration you could swap out one listed part (for example the gas piston) and you'd be compliant using US made magazines of any capacity and foreign magazines capable of holding 10 rounds or less (but not with foreign magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds -unless you swap out three more listed parts).

So the simple act of swapping magazines means you've "built" a non-compliant rifle . . . this makes me want to find the people who wrote this and force-feed them each a copy of the full document . . . from what I've seen, they'd die of ink poisoning way before they could finish the meal. Meddlesome jerks.

I don't feel like changing out my gas piston, since I just spent quite a few hours polishing it and treating it (and the gas tube) with Microlon Gun Juice (it slides really smooth now).

I'm planning on making my own custom forend, which will be prominently labeled "MADE IN USA" with my name.