Will a TRL-2 clear HK sights if put on a top of Saiga with a YHM riser

Ok since I am going with an 8" SBS and already plan on adding a VFG, this doesnt leave much room for any type of flashlight/laser combo on the front.

Now since this is going to be an 8" home defense and not any type of hunting shotgun, lets be honest, there is no reason to have a scope... so that leaves the top free.

So I was thinking of putting a TRL-2 on top "upside down" if you will.

I would also have a pressure pad taped to the VFG for quick on/off of light.

I realize this will block the use of the HK sights while the TRL-2 is clamped on, but do you guys think with a normal piece of rail on top AND a YHM riser, would the flashlight and laser both clear the HK front sight?

I would love to add the light right to a rail on top without a riser to keep clearance as low as possible... but I may have to use one to clear the HK sight.

Do you think it will be too high with the riser?

Edited by TronJohn
Ok since I am going with an 8" SBS and already plan on adding a VFG, this doesnt leave much room for any type of flashlight/laser combo on the front.

Now since this is going to be an 8" home defense and not any type of hunting shotgun, lets be honest, there is no reason to have a scope... so that leaves the top free.

So I was thinking of putting a TRL-2 on top "upside down" if you will.

I would also have a pressure pad taped to the VFG for quick on/off of light.

I realize this will block the use of the HK sights while the TRL-2 is clamped on, but do you guys think with a normal piece of rail on top AND a YHM riser, would the flashlight and laser both clear the HK front sight?

I would love to add the light right to a rail on top without a riser to keep clearance as low as possible... but I may have to use one to clear the HK sight.

Do you think it will be too high with the riser?

I LOVE my TRL-2. I suggest you get in touch with Cobra Custom's on this site. He sells a top rail like you need, plus he has done some custom rails for folks with SBS. I'm sure he can put together just what you are looking for.

Look here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=31709

I dont know if that Cobra piece will work for me... it seems to go all the way to the end of the front... so the HK sights would get in its way...?

What is the total height on their rail vs. a regular rail + YHM riser?

Can you have a piece of rail go from the back of the gun, over the receiver all the way to the front?

It seems that Cobra piece doesnt go back over the receiver and stops in the middle of the gun?

I'd like a strip to go across the entire top.

I dont know if that Cobra piece will work for me... it seems to go all the way to the end of the front... so the HK sights would get in its way...?

What is the total height on their rail vs. a regular rail + YHM riser?

Can you have a piece of rail go from the back of the gun, over the receiver all the way to the front?

It seems that Cobra piece doesnt go back over the receiver and stops in the middle of the gun?

I'd like a strip to go across the entire top.

Try contacting him. He does CUSTOM work. I'm sure he can make you whatever you like.

Custom obviously comes with a bit of a price tag... and that rise seems pretty cheap at only 26 bucks.

I dont think I want the entire strip of picatinny being a "riser" and think I want that to be as low profile as possible and only having the TRL-2 protruding from the top.

Having it as an entire riser would make it a little more solid... but still wont give me that low profile I think I want.

Of course there's room.The TLR-2 is a small light.Why would you want to mount a light on top and block your sights?

It makes more sense to install a small piece of rail on the side of the forearm(which ever you prefer) and use the tail cap as an off/on from the vert grip.

To each their own but I don't see why you would want to put the light on top and block the sighst when you can mount it up front.

Of course there's room.The TLR-2 is a small light.Why would you want to mount a light on top and block your sights?

It makes more sense to install a small piece of rail on the side of the forearm(which ever you prefer) and use the tail cap as an off/on from the vert grip.

To each their own but I don't see why you would want to put the light on top and block the sighst when you can mount it up front.

+1 I had Tony install rails on the side and bottom of my Tromix SBS.

SAGIA120022.jpg

nice... so it can be done, I would assume it isnt a big deal.

I would only want a small piece on the bottom, big enough to put that 45* adapter.

then just a straight rail on top for a riser & TLR-2.

is that a flashlight under the barrel?

Edited by TronJohn

If I go with the S-02 foregrip instead of the S-17,

Could I then add a VFG with a 45* adapter and then have the TLR-2 in front of that... almost right at the end of the barrel?

Or will my TRL-2 take too much of a beating being that close to the muzzle?

I dont want to put things on the side really... I would prefer it either on the bottom front, or on top.

Even though I will train with the HK sights, I will mostly rely on the laser for targeting since this is going to be a CQC shotgun for home defense.

So putting it on top with a rail isnt going to affect me like others.