conversion perversion

the back story: relatively new to saigas. i have a 410, a 12 and a 308. all are in the process of getting converted. i have all of the accessories minus the fcg for the basic pgc. on a scale of 10, i am a solid 8 on the mechanical skills required to pull of the conversion. i have read, searched and contemplated to the point of exhaustion.

the tapco single hook appears to be the basis for fcg's. what has me chasing my tail is the various tweaks for each of my platforms. unless i am misreading things, the 410 fcg needs this tweak, the 12 needs that and the 308 is off on its own planet. or...have i mind f@*ked myself into oblivion. apparently i have some latent subconscious ocd that is prevalent with engineers.

my plan is to pull a marathon conversion orgy and do all 3 at one shot. once i can get the basic pgc complete, i will move on to the frills such as rails and vented guards.

drumroll please..the question i have; am i over analyzing the fcg. or is it just a matter of gettin a single hook, dropping it in and make minor trims to fit.

thanks

scott

drumroll please..the question i have; am i over analyzing the fcg. or is it just a matter of gettin a single hook, dropping it in and make minor trims to fit.
You don't have to trim anything, UNLESS you want the bolt hold open after the conversion.

I personally chunk the BHO on rifle conversions, but the shotgun folks seem to think it's a pretty good idea to have a BHO.

It's as easy as taking the old hammer out and 'monkey see - monkey do' to the new hammer.

the back story: relatively new to saigas. i have a 410, a 12 and a 308. all are in the process of getting converted. i have all of the accessories minus the fcg for the basic pgc. on a scale of 10, i am a solid 8 on the mechanical skills required to pull of the conversion. i have read, searched and contemplated to the point of exhaustion.

the tapco single hook appears to be the basis for fcg's. what has me chasing my tail is the various tweaks for each of my platforms. unless i am misreading things, the 410 fcg needs this tweak, the 12 needs that and the 308 is off on its own planet. or...have i mind f@*ked myself into oblivion. apparently i have some latent subconscious ocd that is prevalent with engineers.

my plan is to pull a marathon conversion orgy and do all 3 at one shot. once i can get the basic pgc complete, i will move on to the frills such as rails and vented guards.

thanks

scott

I can't help you myself but I'll be attempting an S12 conversion myself in the near future just to see if I can ruin a perfectly good gun. Keep posting on how it goes, I'm trying to absorb as much info as I can. By the way, you might want to lay off the beans and hot sauce. lol.

If you want to keep it really simple, get the appropriate modified G2 FCGs from Tromix or Dinzag. They are "drop-in" assemblies, and include nice extras like a pre-installed disconnector spring, etc. Tromix makes one modified specifically for the .410 and Dinzag makes one modified specifically for the .308. Both offer modified G2s that will work great for all other standard Saigas.

i read that somewhere. i cannot find the tromix ones. maa is sold out. there are so many options. i ran across fcg's from bulgarian stamped recievers for peanuts. i think they were $13. i need to get moving on this before my had explodes.

Edited by smartbomb
i read that somewhere. i cannot find the tromix ones. maa is sold out. there are so many options. i ran across fcg's from bulgarian stamped recievers for peanuts. i think they were $13. i need to get moving on this before my had explodes.

MAA shows to have 19 Tromix .410 FCGs in stock as of now.

The 308 usually needs material added, in order for the Safety to work (or, you can replace the Safety with a standard AK Safety).

Also, the hole for the FCG on the 308 is a bit wider than the AK FCG's. You might want to put a small washer on the right side of the FCG so it doesn't slide aound too much (Dinzag includes one with his modified FCG's).

ok now that issue is settled, i have the stock, pg, and triggers coming soon. is the feed ramp mod a requirement or just a performance enhancement?

No feed ramp needed on .308 (someone else will have to answer on the shotguns).

Good price, may not be as quite as nice a trigger pull as the G2's (but some polishing will help that), and no 992r parts help.

I personally chunk the BHO on rifle conversions, but the shotgun folks seem to think it's a pretty good idea to have a BHO.

+1

I reinstalled it on my first conversion, but ended up removing it (and not bothering to keep it on my other conversions). It ended up right next to the trigger (after conversion) and bothered me when pulling the trigger. YMMV.

Edited by cma g21