There may one day be a match for Saiga shotgun owners but not exclusively for Saiga shotguns, you can bet the spaghetti guns would love to beat us at our match. Anyway if I please post ideas.

Really don't want too many divisions.

SAIGA CHALLENGE

Edited by topmaul

I'm in. The more challenging the better. I can bring a Texas Star if you do not have one available. They are more fun if they are mostly concealed.

Greg

Top, look at www.brm3g.com. This is a multigun set up by Andy Horner. Last years stages were VERY shotgun heavy from what I can see. 100 yd long courses and longer, plates at 100 yds with slugs, etc. Also I don't know if you have seen them, but we have a guy in our club that made clay pigeon holders with steel rods, angle iron in a V, and spring loaded holding arms that would allow you to place clay pigeons on your swinging targets as well as drop turners. Very challenging when the drop turner is hidden with a piece of mining belt!!! Also try a Texas Star where you can only shoot the plates at the bottom. Tube feeders will HATE you!!!

Is that blue ridge mountian match going to happen this spring? www.brm3g.com see that it is. Ron, Kenneth, want to go?

Yes it will be this April. There is a 4 page spread on Brian Enos Forum. From what I understand, a company has bought a 1600 acre resort and turned it into a shooting "facility" here in the middle of Kentucky. There is even talk of this range possibly hosting your Pan American Shotgun Championship in 2010. I believe the dates are the 24th thru the 26th with RO's shooting on the 22nd and 23rd. I am working this match as well as shooting it. Would love for some Saiga shooters to show up. I doubt I will be the only one, but there will still be very few. There are still slots available and I have heard it will have a decent prize table. Hope to see you at the range.

I'm a big fan of putting the downfalls of the saiga to the test. Here are my suggestions.

1) People always complain that the S12 can't be shot Prone etc. etc. I say we put that to the test. An entire stage of Low targets that have to be shot under a fence. Say 15 or 20 from 1 or 2 positions. No need for a lot of moving, just shooting while in prone.

2) Many people complain that the Saiga isn't as versatile as other shotguns because you cannot shoot beanbags etc. and get them to cycle. I say you sell 2 beanbag rounds to everyone at cost ($5?) and make them shoot 2 large poppers with them in the middle of the stage. This is how I imagine it.

5-8 plates. 2 Beanbags into poppers which will have to be manually cycled by the Saiga guys, then 5-8 more plates/poppers for birdshot.

3) Slug transition. 3 slugs on paper in the middle of a string of 15-20 Steel. Birdshot on paper or slug on steel is a penalty. (or do 3-5 slugs at the end on paper)

What else do tube guys say make their guns better than ours? I want to test their arguments and prove that our guns are JUST AS GOOD as theirs in the "Special" situations.

Also, add a 40 steel race stage in there. With 2 Texas Stars in a row! :devil:

I'm a big fan of putting the downfalls of the saiga to the test. Here are my suggestions.

1) People always complain that the S12 can't be shot Prone etc. etc. I say we put that to the test. An entire stage of Low targets that have to be shot under a fence. Say 15 or 20 from 1 or 2 positions. No need for a lot of moving, just shooting while in prone.

2) Many people complain that the Saiga isn't as versatile as other shotguns because you cannot shoot beanbags etc. and get them to cycle. I say you sell 2 beanbag rounds to everyone at cost ($5?) and make them shoot 2 large poppers with them in the middle of the stage. This is how I imagine it.

5-8 plates. 2 Beanbags into poppers which will have to be manually cycled by the Saiga guys, then 5-8 more plates/poppers for birdshot.

3) Slug transition. 3 slugs on paper in the middle of a string of 15-20 Steel. Birdshot on paper or slug on steel is a penalty. (or do 3-5 slugs at the end on paper)

What else do tube guys say make their guns better than ours? I want to test their arguments and prove that our guns are JUST AS GOOD as theirs in the "Special" situations.

Also, add a 40 steel race stage in there. With 2 Texas Stars in a row! :devil:

Sounds like a lot of fun to me. I do have a question, though, since I've never shot anything like this before... when a competitor has to switch to slugs and is using a polychoke, would they have to keep it set to slug for the entire round, or would the timer stop to allow a choke adjustment, or how exactly does this work? Like I said, I know nothing about how these shoots work. Are the stages different for shot and slug, or are you supposed to shoot the shot and the slugs in the same stage? Etc...

You better set it to slug before the stage. Usually, if slugs are used, the plates are so close (25-30ft) that you won't have a problem hitting them with a wide open choke. I've never run into a 40yrd Popper that was supposed to be hit with birdshot. I ran on Slug last night and knocked down two poppers, that were lined up so as to be hidden behind each-other, by moving an extra 2 feet to the right and shooting between them. Funny thing is, this didn't work on the two smaller ones, only the two big ones LOL.

You better set it to slug before the stage. Usually, if slugs are used, the plates are so close (25-30ft) that you won't have a problem hitting them with a wide open choke. I've never run into a 40yrd Popper that was supposed to be hit with birdshot. I ran on Slug last night and knocked down two poppers, that were lined up so as to be hidden behind each-other, by moving an extra 2 feet to the right and shooting between them. Funny thing is, this didn't work on the two smaller ones, only the two big ones LOL.

Ok, so you DO switch between shot and slugs in the middle of a run then. What do you do, have a couple mags with slugs and a couple mags with shot and have to swap them out as you go and need them?

Ok, so you DO switch between shot and slugs in the middle of a run then. What do you do, have a couple mags with slugs and a couple mags with shot and have to swap them out as you go and need them?

put 5 slugs in the 5rd OEM mag. When it's time to shoot slugs, slap the mag in, cycle the bolt (Either by hand or by shooting next to the target) there goes the last bird-shot, then blam blam (shoot them slugs) then slap birdshot back in and cycle the bolt (Hand or shoot the slug next to the target at the berm) now you're good to go for the steel again.

put 5 slugs in the 5rd OEM mag. When it's time to shoot slugs, slap the mag in, cycle the bolt (Either by hand or by shooting next to the target) there goes the last bird-shot, then blam blam (shoot them slugs) then slap birdshot back in and cycle the bolt (Hand or shoot the slug next to the target at the berm) now you're good to go for the steel again.

Now I'm with ya. That sounds like a LOT of fun to me!! I hope we can put something together for forum members... I would really enjoy that!

How about a stage where you have to engage two slug targets WITHOUT MAGS. (Tube feeders can't load the tube either)

Stage starts with all ammo on a table except 2 slugs on the shooter. Shooter hand loads each slug into his chamber without the use of Mags or Tubes. After the first two targets are engaged, you may pick up your shells and loaded mags from the table and continue the course of fire. (say 8-12 more rounds)

Now I'm with ya. That sounds like a LOT of fun to me!! I hope we can put something together for forum members... I would really enjoy that!

Another way to do this without the mag changes is to count your shots and place slugs in line with shot.....JUST DON'T MISS. If you miss a shot then it throws your count off unless you put a buffer shell in place so you know to rack it out before you shoot the slugs if you don't miss.

Example-Three poppers, two paper with two slugs each, and four steel plates. Mag would be loaded four bird, four slug, 2 shot, and one shot loaded in chamber.

Another way to do this without the mag changes is to count your shots and place slugs in line with shot.....JUST DON'T MISS. If you miss a shot then it throws your count off unless you put a buffer shell in place so you know to rack it out before you shoot the slugs if you don't miss.

Example-Three poppers, two paper with two slugs each, and four steel plates. Mag would be loaded four bird, four slug, 2 shot, and one shot loaded in chamber.

This is a good plan until you mess up somewhere, then all hell breaks loose.

I had a stage where there were 12 Steel and 2 Slugs. SO, I loaded up 10 and then 2+3slug in the 5round mag. I missed a target, went to a new mag to finish the steel then transitioned to my 5rd mag with the slugs in, and fired once to the right to clear the one in the gun.... but i forgot it was 2+1 in the chamber and ended up penalized for shooting bird into a paper target.

If I had just had a pure slug mag, I'da loaded it, shot once to clear and then shot my two slugs.

KISS

Keep it simple, Saiganoobie.

I've done it both ways, keep a mag with just slugs, or load the mag to match the stage and don't miss!. The special loaded mag is faster unless you miss of course.

The last match I did I just engaged the slug targets first, then switched mags for shot and ran the rest of the stage.

I adjust my polychoke for shot and have had no problem hitting slug targets out to 60+yds.

I'd love a Saiga match!