Would you trade a new x39 for a used .223?

I saw a lightly used saiga .223 in the gun shop today and I thought of offering to trade for my new X39 for the .223 both have are 16" I have two 7.62x39s, one I shoot and the other is just sitting in my safe. When I purchased the x39 they didn't have any .223

Would I be unwise to trade the x39 for the .223? Would it be better to have one of each or is this splitting hairs?

Would it be better to have one of each or is this splitting hairs?

I think it's splitting hairs, personally.

If you don't feel the need for (2) x39's, and you want a .223, then I see no reason not to make the trade.

Figure in conditions of both rifles, and act accordingly. That's my .02.

Gun shops refer to used gun value guides. They will not be up to date on used Saiga values and they will not offer you the going rate on a trade. The .223 also has some magazine issues as well. (Not as many choices)

Long term the .223 will maintain a longer time of availability in the US (due to military use), at some point the lawmakers may make 7.62x39 outlawed.

No simple answers.

I would stick with the 7.62x39! (Better defense round than the varmint caliber)

My 2-cents!

Good luck!

Nathan,

I thought so too, until I leaned that to enable the use of M16/AR15 mags required the machining down of the Bolt trunions. I do a lot of crazy stuff, but that will not be one that I'll be willing to do.

Not meant as anyting against the good product you manufacture.

It's more my issue than yours. (besides, I don't have an AR anyway)

Your statement still stands

Keep up the good work, At least your doing someting we need. And I thank you.

Edited by Fluid Power
Nathan,

I thought so too, until I leaned that to enable the use of M16/AR15 mags required the machining down of the Bolt trunions. I do a lot of crazy stuff, but that will not be one that I'll be willing to do.

Not meant as anyting against the good product you manufacture.

It's more my issue than yours. (besides, I don't have an AR anyway)

Your statement still stands

Keep up the good work, At least your doing someting we need. And I thank you.

I understand completely, I too spent time evaluating the safety of the idea as well. I am confident in the integrity of the trunnion, after all the barrel is what is containing expansion during firing and the recoil is not that of a S12 or .308. Too, bulgy and Weiger mags are pretty thick as well.... the adapter if I remember correctly is only .03-.04 wider than some Bulgy or Weiger mags.

Shooting a Saiga .223 is an experience. I have shot several AK's including a Saiga 7.62 I converted and the .223 saiga I have pretty much amazes me. Virtually no felt recoil, very little movement from the rifle, I really was surprised with how this gun shoots. I personally find the .223 to be the round to have right now. With the cost of 7.62 going up and who knows what kind of trade restrictions the new administration has planned for imported ammo, .223 is the ticket right now. If you already have a 7.62 I say go for it.

eadodd,

I know I've given you some things to think about. I have one more (after reading 7.62smith's input), buy the .223 and own both! I did. :D

Your friend Frosty

/quote]

Thanks Frosty................I think I'll keep the 7.62 and just purchase a .223 Thanks for the advise..................Ed