bullet guide install on first converison

ok, this conversion process hasn't been too bad. actually much less intimidating once you actually get to work. only ran into a couple little issues (getting that spot weld drilled through was a PITA), then i realize i bought a double hook G2 trigger group so i had to modify the receiver. all in all it has been a fun little project short of one point: getting the bullet guide installed.

i've burned up the bit that Dinzag sent with the kit, i've tried two other bits that didn't even rub the paint off the trunion and finally ended up using a diamond tipped bit and started making a little progress before it too was shot. that is some HARD metal to work on. I've purchased another bit and am going to try borrowing a hand drill from a buddy of mine as the new bit just won't fit properly in the dremel.

any tips on making this easier? this is the last step for this conversion and i think the dremel is just running too dang fast...

replaced the FCG with a double hook G2, saw pistol grip, warsaw length tapco fixed stock, painted the exposed metal under the trigger plate with high temp ceramic paint from autozone, i've got eclips holding the pins for the trigger group, dremeled down the mag catch and everything is working great... just need that bullet guide. i didn't know if i'd like the looks of the SAW grip from the shots i've seen on the web, but in person it looks and feels great on there. with the fixed stock and factory front handguard (which has grown on me significantly since i did the conversion) i am really liking the way its turned out.'

anyone who is considering NOT converting their saiga on the basis that it's too difficult, its worth the effort

ok, this conversion process hasn't been too bad. actually much less intimidating once you actually get to work. only ran into a couple little issues (getting that spot weld drilled through was a PITA), then i realize i bought a double hook G2 trigger group so i had to modify the receiver. all in all it has been a fun little project short of one point: getting the bullet guide installed.

i've burned up the bit that Dinzag sent with the kit, i've tried two other bits that didn't even rub the paint off the trunion and finally ended up using a diamond tipped bit and started making a little progress before it too was shot. that is some HARD metal to work on. I've purchased another bit and am going to try borrowing a hand drill from a buddy of mine as the new bit just won't fit properly in the dremel.

any tips on making this easier? this is the last step for this conversion and i think the dremel is just running too dang fast...

replaced the FCG with a double hook G2, saw pistol grip, warsaw length tapco fixed stock, painted the exposed metal under the trigger plate with high temp ceramic paint from autozone, i've got eclips holding the pins for the trigger group, dremeled down the mag catch and everything is working great... just need that bullet guide. i didn't know if i'd like the looks of the SAW grip from the shots i've seen on the web, but in person it looks and feels great on there. with the fixed stock and factory front handguard (which has grown on me significantly since i did the conversion) i am really liking the way its turned out.'

anyone who is considering NOT converting their saiga on the basis that it's too difficult, its worth the effort

Use a transfer puch to mark the center of the hole then use a small drill bit in a drill about half the size you want the hole to be then use a drill with the correct size bit , oil the bit with cutting oil and you will be fine I did the exact same thing 9 months ago. It is a PITA but you will not regret the work when its done. Also word to the wise save all of the old pieces . I chucked em and I regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

finally got my hand on a drill i could use... it was a single speed 3000rpm drill but i was able to just pulse it and it cut through without any problems (didn't even use any oil)

i threaded it using the kit that came with the bullet guide from dinzag and it was super easy. i was concerned about trying to be at the perfect angle and perfect alignment, etc... it was worry about nothing. i got the hold drilled through and of course it was slightly at an angle. set the bullet guide in and the hole is offcenter of where it needed to be (arrghhh). threaded it anyway and then went to see if it'd screw in ok and sure enough it fits nice and tight.

had i had a drill in addition the dremel, i think i could have used this bit to tear through that spot weld much easier making the overal conversion process really, really simple. I still plan to locktite the screw for the bullet guide and then smooth out the head of that screw just a tad but after having completed the first conversion: this is incredibly easy.

after having completed the first conversion: this is incredibly easy.

I think more people would realize this (for good or bad for us Saiga fans) if more people used the search function . . .

Res ipsa loquitor.

BTW, NOT any jab at you ripper225.

Edited by Raoul_Duke