polychoke II ?

I have been into ak's for a number of years and just recently have decided to get into the shotgun side of things. My question is for anybody who has a polychoke II on a S-12 W/19"BBL. what i am wondering is how well it groups at what ranges with that short of a barrel. I would like to hunt turkey and other game with it but dont want to have to be right next to my target to drop it. I did see the choke specs on saiga-12.com but it didnt say if the info was for the 19" or 24" BBL. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have been into ak's for a number of years and just recently have decided to get into the shotgun side of things. My question is for anybody who has a polychoke II on a S-12 W/19"BBL. what i am wondering is how well it groups at what ranges with that short of a barrel. I would like to hunt turkey and other game with it but dont want to have to be right next to my target to drop it. I did see the choke specs on saiga-12.com but it didnt say if the info was for the 19" or 24" BBL. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

That will depend on your loads and Shot size.

The Polychoke has 6 settings down from barrel size and 2 settings up. You will easily find a setting which will work best for your loads.

What size shot you plan on using? I've only used 7 1/2 and 00# buck. So thats about all I know. Isn't turkey shooting less then 75 yards?

What size shot you plan on using? I've only used 7 1/2 and 00# buck. So thats about all I know. Isn't turkey shooting less then 75 yards?

I plan on using standard 3" high density turkey loads but state law requires pellet size to be .180 or smaller. Its just that my father inlaw(who doesnt care for any ak style guns) insists a 19" barrel will not have the range for trap let alone turkey hunting. But yes turkey hunting is less then 75 yards infact most shots will be made between 15 and 50 yards depending on your hunting skills. I just want to make sure hunting and trap shooting with the 19" barrel is feasible.

Well I have a poly choke and some 7 1/2 shell loads which is .095 and some color activated turkey targets. I've never been turkey hunting but am willing to help out a fellow saiga turkey hunter. So I should aim for the head right (like I said I've never been turkey hunting)? I could do 1 shot each at 25 yards, 50 yards and 75 yards and post the pictures here.

Unrelated I always though it would be easier to shoot a turkey with a .308 till someone told me that wouldn't leave much meat to eat. Or at least shoot them in the head with a .22 rifle. I just think birdshot would get in all the meat you want to eat even if you do hit them in the head there might be a few pellets that go in the meat?

Well I have a poly choke and some 7 1/2 shell loads which is .095 and some color activated turkey targets. I've never been turkey hunting but am willing to help out a fellow saiga turkey hunter. So I should aim for the head right (like I said I've never been turkey hunting)? I could do 1 shot each at 25 yards, 50 yards and 75 yards and post the pictures here.

Unrelated I always though it would be easier to shoot a turkey with a .308 till someone told me that wouldn't leave much meat to eat. Or at least shoot them in the head with a .22 rifle. I just think birdshot would get in all the meat you want to eat even if you do hit them in the head there might be a few pellets that go in the meat?

You shoot turkeys in the head. They are tough birds and their feather alone can stop shot. As with all hunting with shot you will always get some shot in the meat. I remember as a kid always getting warned to watch out for pellets in my dinner. Head shooting a turkey sounds like a good idea but have you seen the size of a turkey's head? It's hard to hit them with even a well patterned shot.

Edited by lipadj46

I have the Poly Choke II.. w/19" w/#4 lead shot on the full setting I got a patten that was the same...alittle more uniform.... as my buddies 28" Moss. 500 w/ MOD choke....at 25 yards....I would say pattern your gun...see what load it likes and go for it!! I hunted ducks+geese for years...with many different bbl's chokes...the short bbls did better than most would make you think at times

Thanks I would really appreciate that. And by the way about shooting turkey with a rifle, in the state that I live in there is actually a turkey rifle season in fall but I wouldn't reccomend using a 308. I have an arsenal .223 AK that is perfect you can just use bullets like sierra matchkings or any other bullet that isnt FMJ(to be legal) and just put a hole right through the middle.I prefer bullets that arent designed to expand nosler custom competition hpbt's also work well.

P.S. thanks to everybody else too.

Thanks I would really appreciate that. And by the way about shooting turkey with a rifle, in the state that I live in there is actually a turkey rifle season in fall but I wouldn't reccomend using a 308. I have an arsenal .223 AK that is perfect you can just use bullets like sierra matchkings or any other bullet that isnt FMJ(to be legal) and just put a hole right through the middle.I prefer bullets that arent designed to expand nosler custom competition hpbt's also work well.

P.S. thanks to everybody else too.

Yeah I would hate to see what a hollow tip, or ballistic tip .308 would do to a turkey breast. Turkey burgers maybe :ph34r: