I found an easy way to avoid cutting a pistol grip hole.

I found an easy way to avoid cutting a pistol grip hole. ^_^

All you have to do is let the pistol grip screw pass through the old trigger guard hole (that is already cut and not used after the conversion). Then just put a 6mm nut on the screw to hold the pistol grip down. You can pick one up at any hardware place for about a dime.

Get one of the nuts that has "rounded corners" on the top (like a lock nut or there are many others). Then as you tighten the nut, keep pressure on the pistol grip toward the trigger guard. The screw and nut will find the best angle by themselves because of the rounded corners on the nut.

The pistol grip is held firmly in front where the trigger guards fits into the recess in the pistol grip and it is held "down" by the pistol grip screw through the trigger hole.

I have had mine like this for months and it has not moved or loosened.

louielouie :xmas:

Pix, please.

nalioth,

"Oh, yee of little faith"..

I tried but my photos are so out of focus that you can't really see details.

I am afraid you are just going to have to take my word for it until I can take some better photos.

I clipped the front corners on the K-Var buttstock to miss the nylon plugs, but as it turned out I really didn't need to.

You can see the notch I made for the nut and the screw coming through.

louielouie

post-5881-1234388669_thumb.jpgpost-5881-1234388679_thumb.jpg

nalioth,

I know you have the faith, I am just giving you a hard time. Sorry about the photos. I will try to post better photos and better description.

I did use a regular 4 and a half inch pistol grip screw and a 6mm nut like this. I made sure the nut I used had the rounded corners against the receiver so it could "find" the angle it liked when tightened.

post-5881-1234452889.gif

Gunny R,

Blue Loctite would be fine.

'22_Shooter' ,

I have fired it and the pistol grip stays put. I would not be carrying my "baby" around by the pistol grip if I did not trust my method of holding it on.

There is also a good chance that your stock may butt up against it. If it does you have even more holding the PG in place.

I tried to do a comparison using the Sheik's tutorial drawing. It is really crudely done because even though I work from home I am in a hurry. I have a project that is DUE and I can't spend much time on this now.

I will post more and better photos in a few days.

Click on the illustration to be able to read it (call me Mr. Obvious)

post-5881-1234452640_thumb.jpg

louielouie

p.s.

This is another of my 7.62 Saiga's set up the same way.

Here is a photo that shows the same setup where I did not use the pistol grip hole on purpose.

You can see the pistol grip hole that was pre-cut.

You can see where I used the pistol grip screw but allowed it to pass through the old trigger hole.

The nut is different but that doesn't matter. I was just playing around with different nuts.

post-5881-1234454852_thumb.jpg

Edited by louielouie
The nut is different but that doesn't matter. I was just playing around with different nuts.

For some reason, I couldn't stop laughing when I read this line. :lolol:

One of these days I have to grow up.

Are you sure he wasn't referring to his visits to this forum?

GunnyR,

Don't you play with your nuts sometimes? You know, lock-nuts, wing nuts, going-nuts... :haha:

On the forum we all are nuts (just ask nalioth) :wacko:

nalioth,

My hat is off to you sir, your wit is quick and painless, :victory:

p.s. I am not going to edit the line out.

That is exactly what I get for trying to answer so quickly and besides, too many nuts will enjoy it and I don't mind being the butt of the joke.

Edited by louielouie

Funny how time repeats itself...

I "discovered" the same thing pretty much (I thought) but I used a bent carriage bolt and went down from the top with a lock nut on the inside of the grip. The square part of the carriage bolt fits the old trigger slot and leaves nothing but a small round head visible inside the receiver. You can also add a second screw if using the Tapco Saw grip, for extra insurance.

I couldn't find the thread where I posted pics but here's another one similar.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=21208&hl=

Like I said, thought I was the first to have figured out the carriage bolt method...lol....then I found this.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=1768&hl=

Always more than one way to skin a Saiga. :smoke:

One thing I learned in big business was;

If you had a bad year and your budget was in the red, there was no one with you at the podium when it came time to go over budgets with the "Board of Directors";

BUT

if you had a good year, it was so crowded you knew you would never even get to the podium, let alone to take credit for the ideas.

"there is nothing new under the sun" Ecclesiastes 1:9 (at least I think so)

Edited by louielouie