Saiga .308 Conversion Tutorial

Hi all,

I've been a lurker for quite a while. I finally picked up a 16'' saiga .308. I've dug through alot of the material in the conversion threads, but there is not a tutorial specific to the .308. Is there a tutorial out there specific to the .308? If not I may just document my conversion process and post it up here. All I could find is that it's similar and I don't need to drill holes. I'm guessing the retaining pins can be punched out? Also it seems like my trigger guard is welded to the frame, so I would have to drill out the spot weld at least.

Secondly, I would like to get some advice on a buttstock. The factor stock is ludicrously short. I'm not a fan of the telescopic stocks you would normally see on ARs either, but I'm not vehemently opposed to using it if there are no better options. Can anyone recommend a good stock/grip set for a tall guy? I would prefer a fixed stock and it would be great if it has screws for a recoil pad.

Lastly, I read that some FCGs do not fit well into the .308. Can anyone vouch for a good FCG they've used in a .308 conversion?

Thanks in advance,

Q

Go to Dinzag Arms. They sell Tapco fire control groups that have been modified to work in the .308. Other than that, converting a .308 is really no different than converting a 7.62 or .223. As for the stock, well, if you find it short you must be a gorilla. Most people find it long after a conversion, and I actually put a stock on mine that's shorter than the factory skeleton stock.

So I planned a shopping list on dinzagarms.com

FCGPGC3 FCG PG Saiga 308

CONVKIT Conversion Kit

AKPGNS AK PG Nut w/Screw

AKRETP AK FCG Ret Plate

SGM30825 Surefire 308 25

PGAKBLK AK SAW Grip Black

BSORGBLK Tapco Stock Black

I have a couple of questions though. Am I right in assuming that I reuse the retaining pins from the original FCG and add a retention plate to keep the new FCG in place? Also, do I need a disconnector spring? From the cross-con, tutorial it said to remove a spring from the factor FCG, is that the disconnector spring I need?

Edited by quatin

Yes you reuse the pins. You need some type of retaining devise, it could be a retaing plate, shepards crook, or e -clips. I like the shepards crook, thats what they come with and they are cheap, most people say their hard to install, but thats not true if you do it correctly. You can reuse the disconnector spring from the .308 FCG but you have to drill out the disconnector because the .308 spring is wider, and you also have to trim down the spring length about 1/3, or you can buy a new spring for $2.