Legality of the folding stock

It may seem like a ridiculous question, but then again, there are ridiculous policemen that will act ridiculous if they happen to see this thing at a public range, and I dont want leave anything 'to interpretation'

Please share your thoughts/experiences. If there is any doubt, I will just go with a fixed stock.

Thanks

Without counting the tang, the measurement on mine from the front of the barrel to the back of the receiver is 28.25" (around 29.5" w/ tang). That's with a standard 19" barrel.

Corbin

P.S. Welcome to the forum. :up:

Edited by Corbin

Regardless of length, doesn't the folder in "some" states come under the AW definition on semi-autos? I know non-semi are okay (ie pump). Add to the fact that the S-12 has a "detach-able" magazine. Here in Kalifornia the Franchi Spas, semi-auto folder, is considered an AW and that doesn't have a mag like the S-12. I think in some states like mine, the S-12 is barely within the law with just the mag-lock. Having it converted and with a folder would be pushing it. However, I would like to have a PG stock(un-converted) on my S-12. Just unsure if it would attract some attention I don't want at the range. Even with a 10rd mag that looks awful big like a hi-cap to some.

Calif law says a shotgun becomes an assault weapon by these definitions

6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:

A) A folding or telescoping stock.

B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

So it looks like if you convert and add a pistol grip, you can't have a folder.

I think in some states like mine, the S-12 is barely within the law with just the mag-lock.

I don't agree. The maglock solution is legit and 100% defensible. Tens of thousands of AR's and AK's are in use every day and barely rate a second glance by LEO (except maybe in admiration) FFL's are transfering Saiga12's no problem and they wouldn't be doing it if they thought they would lose their license. The ten round mags are legal under calif law, yes they do look HUGE!!! but they're legit.

Edited by Psssniper

"No shorter than 16" barrel on rifles" "No shorter than 18" barrel on Shotguns" and "Long guns (both) No shorter than 26" with stock fully extended" is the Federal (BATF) guideline. I sell a hell of a lot of Bull-Pup kits coast to coast without any issues. Since Bull-Pups are not "foldable" they are what they are. A 10/22 with a 18 1/2" barrel = 27 1/4" overall length. It's inside the limit but you would prolly have an issue if you put a 16 1/2" barrel on it because the overall would then be 25 1/2". It might get dismissed in court but I would advise to not be the "test case."

Shotguns are funny. Some law enforcement people still thinks you measure from the crimp in the shell instead of the "bolt face" to the muzzel. I've met a couple of them. They want to measure barrels that look rough at the muzzel and overlook the SBS in the next shooting bay because it look "Factory new." lol I even bought a barrel on GunBroker from a Indiana State police guy that was 16 3/4" and swore it was 18". I got a refund but that guy was dumb as a bag of hammers.