.223 accuracy and AK .223 mags?

With a bit of work, I was able to get an AK 74 magazine to work without installing a bullet guide, but it required the use of a different follower (from a Norinco 223 AK mag that could not be made to fit). Currently, the plan is to get some 223 magazine followers from Robison Armament (made specifically to fit in AK 74 magazines) and modify a few more AK 74 magazines to fit in the rifle.

As far as accuracy goes, the best group I've gotten on paper was between 1/4 and 1/2 inch (depending on how you measure) at 25 yards with Brittish surplus (Radway Green). The only thing about that is that I was getting high pressure signs while using that ammo (cratering on the primers). Using Bosnian SS109, I was able to easily hit within a 2-4 inch circle repeatedly at 125 yards. I didn't have a paper target though, so that's really just geussing from the puffs of dirt. I should note, all of this was with iron sights, off of a rest. Well, some of the 125 yard shots were standing offhand, but you get the picture. I'm going to post some more about it when I get a chance to put a group on paper at 100.

All in all, I think the saiga 223 has great accuracy potential.

God bleep the bleep bleeping bullet guide for bleep sakes! Bleep it all...

It isn't absolutely necessary, if you have the right follower and a little bit of skill with a file. Besides, AK 74 mags are cheaper and more readily available.

Thank you for your time.

AK-47 7.62X39 steel mags will snap right into the mag well. Some Steel Hi-Caps require re-working the front and rear catches. Just drill out the spot welds and relocate them to match the Saiga. Now, cut you some shims for the inside front on the 7.62 X39 mag. These shims need to reduce the width of the front of magazine to the same as your Saiga mag. Drill several small holes from each side of the front of the mag, insert the shim, and tack weld the shim through the drilled hole. Grind off your welds. You do need a feed ramp/cartridge guide for this conversion. Once you get your pattern for the shims, cut several at one time, and it makes for less work. Also trim the front of your follower so that you don't encounter any drag.

While some of the non-steel 7.62X39 may work great, after using Cobray Non-Steel mags in MACs for years, and seeing the wear, and the need and later the use of stainless steel lips, I would also install steel feed lips made from quality steel on any non-steel mags.

That's one thing I like about the AK 74 bakelite magazines. The front and rear mag catches, and the feed lips all have steel inserts in them. I also just found some AK 74 stripper clips and guides. They take a bit to get used to, but they work pretty well. I'd definately recomend them.