G2 trigger mods: how difficult?

I am considering the G2 Tapco Ak trigger (for my S12) from Brownell's for $23.

A converted one will cost me $45-50.

I already own a dremel.

Is the decision as clear to you as it is to me?

OR, is there some special skillset or technique that is too hard to replicate for the home converter? Please fill me in on the techniques and process required to convert a standard Tapco G2 single hook trigger to work in my S12 conversion.

There's nothing hard about it. People just like to get paid for their time, that's all.

There's also the fact that if you pay someone else to do it, and they screw it up, they pay for it, and you still get a perfectly done trigger group, by someone with much experience.

Agreed - That's one thing I do not mess with - I would hate to screw up a perfectly good trigger set by getting a little heavy handed with a file...

Through all of my builds and conversions I have learned on thing... You don't have to do everything yourself. There are several people who are willing to do service and make custom parts that do a great job for a reasonable price. In many instances it is just not worth the hassle.

In the scheme of things an extra $25 to have someone re-contour the hammer profile, shorten the pin leg for the BHO latch, polish all of the contact surfaces and re-black the hammer is a pretty good deal in my book.

Just my $.02

sKott

When I converted my S12 I didn't know the G2 wasn't going to fit because another G2 had previously worked out perfectly in my x39 rifle.

After I discovered the differences I had fun working with the dremel to get it fit into the S12 and learned something in the process.

Z

I ask everyone who has asked this question:

Are you competent using basic hand tools (hammer, screwdriver, pliers)?

Are you competent using basic power tools (sander/grinder, drill, dremel)?

If the answers are yes, then you can probably do the conversion yourself. I'm in software by trade, so I obviously don't use tools on a daily basis. If you take your time and follow the instructions, you'll have no problem.

I've got a bunch of bookmarks on delicious: http://delicious.com/vbrtrmn/guns.saiga12

the only difficult part of converting my saiga was drilling out and removing the original rivets/pins. the FCG is easy. just grind off the width of your BHO from the right side of the FCG.

forgot who it was, but somebody on this forum used a double hook G2 FCG in their single hook gun and ground down the 2nd hook a bit so the trigger doesn't over travel. great idea

I already own a dremel.

OR, is there some special skillset or technique that is too hard to replicate for the home converter? Please fill me in on the techniques and process required to convert a standard Tapco G2 single hook trigger to work in my S12 conversion.

Are we talking from the perspective of a Tony Rumore or Joe Bloe of the street? If you're Tony you just drink a couple of beers and God comes down to do it for you. If you're just Joe Bloe than I would suggest reading one of the technical threads :P

Does anyone have alink to detailed instructions?

This has been posted a thousand times, next time, use search!

This conversion is for a .223, but the principles are the same; you don't need a mill like the guy is using, you can do the conversion with the tools I listed above.

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm

Does anyone have alink to detailed instructions?

This has been posted a thousand times, next time, use search!

This conversion is for a .223, but the principles are the same; you don't need a mill like the guy is using, you can do the conversion with the tools I listed above.

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm

I actually did a search and read that. I've read it several times. It's nice.

I'm asking for technical info on what and how much material to remove on a Tapco single hook G2, to fit into my s12.

A picture would be great. I found one by a retailer, and one by a poster in an unrelated thread started since I posted here. I'm close, but just looking for a bit more info.

EDIT: found the tech forums and the info I needed...thanks for letting me know there IS a tech forum!!

Edited by fortyacres

I already own a dremel.

Are we talking from the perspective of a Tony Rumore or Joe Bloe of the street? If you're Tony you just drink a couple of beers and God comes down to do it for you. If you're just Joe Bloe than I would suggest reading one of the technical threads :P

Well...since I'm asking, it's definitely Joe Blow!