My new Saiga 12 barrel appears to be canted right!

I just purchased a new Saiga 12 w/19" barrel. The first thing I noticed after getting it home was that the sights seemed to be a little off. The rear sight is tilted with the right side a little lower than the left. Then as I sight above the gas tube down the barrel, the barrel appears to be canted to the right quite a bit. I told myself that I must be imagining this. But I looked again and there is a distict alignment issue with the barrel. Is this a common thing with the Saiga 12? I am at work, but when I get home I will try to post pictures. Is it possible that this is an illusion caused by the gas tube being miss aligned and it appears to be the barrel? Any input on this would be appreciated.

Edited by cj cake
I just purchased a new Saiga 12 w/19" barrel. The first thing I noticed after getting it home was that the sights seemed to be a little off. The rear sight is tilted with the right side a little lower than the left. Then as I sight above the gas tube down the barrel, the barrel appears to be canted to the right quite a bit. I told myself that I must be imagining this. But I looked again and there is a distict alignment issue with the barrel. Is this a common thing with the Saiga 12? I am at work, but when I get home I will try to post pictures. Is it possible that this is an illusion caused by the gas tube being miss aligned and it appears to be the barrel? Any input on this would be appreciated.

I had a 24" Saiga 12 that was severely canted too. Before I shortened the barrel, I just put on a russian front sight to line up the rear sights to stay on target.

To fix it, you will have to knock the pins out of the gas block after unscrewing the gas plug and removing the handguards. Then you need to loosen the gas block (towards the muzzle). You will take it down far enough to separate it so you can move it freely on the barrel (which is of a slightly smaller diameter. Then realign the gas tube with the sights and hold it place while you tap the gas block back in place (towards the buttstock). Then tighten it back up snug, making sure your gas ports are visible in the barrel port in the gas block (visible from where the gas plug was screwed out) when you are finished. The pins should still fit in place as they are pretty bendable.

I thought it would be much harder than it was, but if you have a thick brass punch for the gas block, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. I had to add a fourth gas port and open the others up to get reliable cycling after I shortened the barrel so I took the gas block off several times and realigned it. The gas ports are at an angle, so if you decide you need to do this, make sure you drill accordingly. And get some carpet and towels to protect the muzzle on the ground if you aren't using a vice.

There should be a pic thread walking you through taking off the gas block in the tech section... check Cobra's sticky if your search results are overwhelming. According to Tony Rumore, some gas blocks are harder than others, but mine came off with a few good hits on the brass punch. The gas block was dinged slightly with the impact of the punch, but it was covered by the handguards so nobody can see!

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

You may even be able to just rotate the GB in place once the pins are out. In fact, I think I've heard Tony mention just straitening it up with the pins in place, as they don't really do much but keep it from moving towards the muzzle. I would at least use some good penetrating oil first.