Is it just me or is he not hitting the mag release? Maybe he really is that smooth that I didn't see it, but it looks to me like the empty mag is not engaged in the mag catch and he's just hitting the empty mag out of the way.

What 3 second barrier are you referring to? All of those mag changes were way less than 3 seconds.

Holy cow. I thought I was reasonably OK with mag changes on my AKs and ARs but now I feel totally incompetent. Looks like I need a LOT more practice. The Travis Tomasie video showing him change a clip in a 9mm before the spent free-falling clip even made it to his belly was equally amazing.

My reaction time is no-where near that fast.

Not trying to start a flame here, but the one thing I keep seeing in these videos is these guys are charging the weapon after the mag change. I was always taught, you never let the gun go dry, therefore on a mag change you should not need to recharge the weapon. Now my training is mostly with HG, so it is easier to count rounds and be able to tell when you are down to one or two rounds.

Is this common with rifle mag changes?

What 3 second barrier are you referring to? All of those mag changes were way less than 3 seconds.

Holy cow. I thought I was reasonably OK with mag changes on my AKs and ARs but now I feel totally incompetent. Looks like I need a LOT more practice. The Travis Tomasie video showing him change a clip in a 9mm before the spent free-falling clip even made it to his belly was equally amazing.

My reaction time is no-where near that fast.

Part of the limitation is how fast will the old empty mag be cleared out of the way for the fresh magazine to be inserted.That seems to be the threshold issue.

It goes from the first "click" on an empty chamber which in a fight is an "emergency" hence that is called an "Emergency Reload" watch the timers or use a stop watch.These videos are the fastest I could find from searching for reloading techniques.When you time it from "click to bang" they are all over 3 seconds.

Oh by the way the thick fella with the photo/fishing vest is me ;)

Edited by SOPMOD
Not trying to start a flame here, but the one thing I keep seeing in these videos is these guys are charging the weapon after the mag change. I was always taught, you never let the gun go dry, therefore on a mag change you should not need to recharge the weapon. Now my training is mostly with HG, so it is easier to count rounds and be able to tell when you are down to one or two rounds.

Is this common with rifle mag changes?

I count rounds when I train semi auto but I don't think I would bet on counting rounds in UO(too much going on and too many other things to count) so even though you should have some idea of what is in your rifle you should have a very smooth,fast and well practiced response to the dreaded "click" of dropping a hammer on an empty chamber that every HK and AK operator has experienced at one time or another.

Muscle memory is your friend,anything you would bet your life on you should be able to pull off on reflex without a lot of thought.Reloads are one of those things in my opinion.

Edited by SOPMOD