SAS-12 on sale at Century & SOG

Tony (Tromix) has already given a primer on how to improve reliablity by putting in a stronger extractor spring. This seems to put to rest the "jam-o-matic" complaints.

Tony discussing the SAS-12

I finally got one and have been toying with it. Things tht make it cool:

1) easy to cut the barrel down and open the gas ports without being a machinist with a lathe and mill. Simple drill press or hand drill will do it. Not so easy with the Saiga.

2) Magazines are metal. This makes for adding a section of magazine on the bottom pretty easy. It also makes combining two magazines into one a possiblity.

3) The mag well is easier (IMO) to insert mags than the Saiga. It's a straight up slam rather than a rocking.

4) receiver can be drilled and tapped for a scope mount or aftermarket ghost ring sights

5) it's super cheap. $119 at SOG and $99 at Century

Now for the downfalls:

1) you can only shoot 2 3/4" cartridges

2) you need to throughly disassemble it and clean it before shooting. you will notice an improved smoothness in the cycling after cleaning out the grit.

3) no readily available folding stock. it'll take some trial and error with stocks for other shotguns. It will also require some US parts if you go that route. once again, none available.

#2 isn't a big deal since i do that with any new gun.

#3 will be a challenge, but with time it will be overcome.

For $100, you'd be hard pressed to find a shotgun with as much potential.

Caspian

My SAS 12 arrived yesterday. Total with shipping and transfer was $140. I cut the barrel down to 19" and polished the chamber with my Dremel. No chrome lining on this barrel .Mags are easier to load than my Saiga. The mag release is still a little stiff and it takes a little effort to insert the mag, but still easy. I bought it because of the post that Tromix (Tony) made. The gun definately has potential. I am pleased with mine. I agree with Caspian and Tony.

You know, the first time I saw those in shotgun news, I was very interested. I just never put any time/energy into finding one. I believe I did in fact see one at the local Dunhams for a similar price to what was mentioned earlier. I also saw a few at the last gunshow I was at... for $300!! WTF? Anyway, thanks for the info, I'm going to be looking into this.

SOG isnt advertising them on their website where else could one find this SAS-12 shotgun? Thanks.

Eric

EDIT: I found one at an auction site but then quickly realized I'm broke an couldn't afford one anyways. Damn...

Edited by emr454

As far as I know, the crown on a shotgun barrel isn't as critical as that on a rifle. Still, I would suggestmaking sure that there is no metal from the crown obstructing the bore. By that I mean anything sticking into the bore, that would catch on your projectiles as they leave the barrel. It doesn't need to feel as smooth as glass, but it's probably a good idea to polish the rough edges.

The SAS barrel came with absolutely no crown , so it was easy to do a better job of smoothing out the cut barrel than what was done by the Chinese. The gun is a little on the rough side but with a little TLC it can be pretty nice. I'll try to post some pics later today. Oh, almost forgot , the bolt stays open on the last shot due to the magazine follower. But there is no manual bolt hold open.

i cut the barrel down to 18.5" and it cycles fine w/o modification to the gas system. The only weird thing that happens is that i have to use high brass shells. If i use low brass, the plastic hull gets stuck in the chamber and the brass section jams the gun. This hapened on 2 or 3 different low brass brands i tried. Function with high brass was flawless. i don't need to mess with the gas system or extractor.

also, with slight modification, you can use a Remington 1100 tactical charging handle as a replacement for the crappy aluminum stock one.

It can easily be fitted with a Mossberg folding stock with the addition of a threaded adaptor. To do this legally, you'd have to fabricate some US made parts. That's not too big of a problem once you see how simple everything is.

US parts could include hammer, trigger, floorplate, follower, charging handle, etc.

I am going to mock up some double mags with JB Weld just to see if the gun will cycle and function with it. If it works, then i'll have some double mags welded up.

Later

caspian

p.s. don't be discouraged by the rough feeling of the action. a good scrubbing when you first buy it then fire about 20 shotshells through it. it's smooth up quickly.

I just used a cut down ejector spring from an AR-15. I had to drill out the spring bore in the SAS-12 a hair, but no big deal. I opened the ports a bit and the thing runs all shells just fine.

I'll try and get some extra mags and weld a couple together. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Hey Caspian,

Where did you get the Remington charging handle? I ordered 3 mags today. The mag spring is almost identical to an AK mag spring. I think this could be used with two or more of the SAS mags welded together to increase capacity nicely. I was thinking of using one of the ATI folding stocks for a Mossberg. Judging by pictures the Mossberg seemed to be the most compatible. Let me know how your mock up mags work. Man it sure would be nice to have metal Saiga 12 mags.

Randy

the 1100 charging handle is available from Brownells for around $9.

a Mossberg or Remmy 870 folding stock will work, but you'll have to make an adaptor to go from the large thread of the SAS 12 to the smaller Remington or Mossberg bolt.

Tony, do you think you could lathe a few of those out? I could use one if you do.

Are the ATI stocks any good? the price is attractive, but i don't like to have to buy stuff twice. However, i also don't like spending as much on a folder as i do on the gun. So a cheapo stock would be nice if it's sturdy.

Caspian