Pointing a shotgun with a Vertical Forend Grip.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a VFG, or is it FVG, for the saiga. I got taught how to shoot a shotgun the old school way where you extend your index finger on your support hand and "point" the shotgun at where you want the shot to land, when shooting bird and clays. Can you still "point" a shotgun with a VFG?

Speakin of which, do you guys aim your saiga? or do you point it?

Do you think a VFG is a good idea for clays and birds?

Cheers!

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a VFG, or is it FVG, for the saiga. I got taught how to shoot a shotgun the old school way where you extend your index finger on your support hand and "point" the shotgun at where you want the shot to land, when shooting bird and clays. Can you still "point" a shotgun with a VFG?

Speakin of which, do you guys aim your saiga? or do you point it?

Do you think a VFG is a good idea for clays and birds?

Cheers!

Dont be grabbing that VFG like your grabbing you know what!!! I use my hand to rest up against the VFG with it touching the back of my palm. This gives you better gun control and allows you to always grab the hand guard at exactly the same spot everytime.

Check out my picture in the "What do we look like" thread.

That's how I hold my grip. I don't just grip it as if it was a cows titty, and I was trying to get milk :lol: .

It's comfortable, and allows for more control than gripping it with your full fist.

EDIT: Here's the picture.

Edited by 22_Shooter

I haven't shot clays with my S12, but I have a VFG on it. I don't full fist it either. I just lay my thumb along the forearm and point with it. Do the same on my AR. The control is definately better than with a full fist grip. Also, if your hand is canted slightly, and you've got a fist on it, your closed fist will be trying to can't the gun also. A lighter, front grip allows the gun to be lightly controlled, as it should be.

I'm not trying to disagree with the last 3 posts... I've never been trap shooting but I imagine what they are saying would work well with that. However I know a little about tactical shooting and if you are shooting on the move with a VFG you want to grip it firmly (but no Kung Fu Death Grip) and pull in towards you. A VFG really helps for shooting on the move because otherwise your rearward arm will move with your body and therefore make it difficult to maintain good shoulder pressure. If you pull in nice and hard with your supporting hand you can better keep the butt firmly in your shoulder while keeping the sights aligned with your eyes and make more accurate quick shots. Keep most of the pressure on the grip between the first and second joints of your fingers. (Not fingertips but not the palm either.) Now bear in mind that this is really best only for moving. When stationary it's my preference not to even use the VFG.