Gas Settings

This is an answer you can find in the little green booklet. "Have you now Saiga. Saiga is good shotgun Russia. Put round at magazine and put magazine at gun. Gas setting 1 if shoot buck, 2 if shoot bird. If gun have two hole it because Comrade Kalashnikov not want working here today." :unsure:

Congrats on getting a Saiga, it's a lot of fun.

However, Tromix tip#7 contradicts Tritium's advice to use a buffer. Tromix says never use a buffer.

FYI, the post I copied from the technical section recmommends a buffer in certain situations, whereas I myself do not believe in them the vast majority of the time.

Welcome to the forum!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys

Im new here..And i just recieved a new Saiga 12..Tell me what gas setting should my saiga be on when firing low brass?

Hi Again.

I've been shoot'n my new Saiga 12 a lot. Geesh my shoulder is killing me. I cant make it mis-cycle unless I get cowboy'd-up and fire from the hip. It's like limp-wristing a big auto pistol, and that frigs-up the momentum of the inards.

When I hold it firmly or against my shoulder, bird, buckshot, slugs and sabots cycled great. I punched quarter sized holes in a newspaper at 100 yards using the factory bead sight and slugs.

Thought I'd post a picture of the gas setting, and some tidbits that I'm going through.

The threads on my selector are less than perfect I think. The first time I removed it (after reading this thread) I had a hell-of-a time getting it out. You can see the wear on the plug whrere the internal threads left scars. The piston did not want to pass through the threads either because things were so rough. I'm thinking I should use some anti-cease lube on the threads (any comments about that?). A video I saw advised that anti-cease lube be used at the muzzle threads.

Now that my threads are worn down a lot, it's getting a lot easier.

I used a putty knife with some electrical tape around the end of the blade as a tool to help me work the rought threads.

I have some machining experience and so I have some know-how with threads. I should think some new-bee's would have a worse time than I did if this is a common condition.

Here is link to a very well done YouTube video called "Saiga 12 disassembly"

I'm jealous of the slick kid in the video with those well practiced tear-down skills.

Look how easily his selector plug comes out!

He uses the end of an artists paintbrush to hold down the spring pin. That got me to go looking for something, and I came up with a chop stick.

It took me too long to figure out to hold the pin down with the chopstick untill the rim of the selector plug clears it's path.

Another point about the gas setting plug you can see in my picture is the angled cut-away on it's back side.

The cuttaway is under the number two, so that when it's in position#2, there is no resistance to gas flow coming out of the barrel port on it's way to pushing the piston back.

I think I got it right in the picture where I point out the port that brings in gas from the barrel.

I tried to verify that by looking down the bore to get a visual of the port from that side, but I couldnt see that area without getting out a mirror. I saw another video where they had the barrel removed and they showed several 1/8" drill holes that were the pathway for the gas.

Another statement I wanted to get out there is that although it is clearly best to always use position #1 unless you must use position#2, my new gun was delivered in position #2.

The kid in the video link above has his on setting#2, and I see that a lot.

This makes me question if maybe I still have it wrong, but that bit I said about the cut-away makes too much sense.

Thanks everyone.

• 2 months later...

Always shoot on the lowest setting that will cycle the ammo being used.

And as advised, try not to forget the switch back to a lower setting when firing high brass after low brass.

If you get a Gunfixr gas plug... Which you should... Then you'll have settings, -1, 1+, 2 & 3.

http://www.mdarms.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1724