Getting me a S-12 :)

Guys my wife gave me the Ok to get a S-12 today so I called my buddy who is a FFl and he called Classic Arms and got one ordered for me. They told him it will ship Thursday the 26th so by next week I should have one. I have been wanting one for quite some time and since we found out what we're getting back in our tax refund she said I could get one. But she also said your not planning on modding this like the 7.62x39 are you? I of course said no. So I'll have to work it in a little at a time. If I am reading the ammo post correctly most guys are saying Federal ammo is pretty good and the Remington rifled slugs work good also but stay away from the Winchester stuff. Any other info you guys have to help out a noob to the S-12 ? Can't wait it's almost like Christmas again.

Guys my wife gave me the Ok to get a S-12 today so I called my buddy who is a FFl and he called Classic Arms and got one ordered for me. They told him it will ship Thursday the 26th so by next week I should have one. I have been wanting one for quite some time and since we found out what we're getting back in our tax refund she said I could get one. But she also said your not planning on modding this like the 7.62x39 are you? I of course said no. So I'll have to work it in a little at a time. If I am reading the ammo post correctly most guys are saying Federal ammo is pretty good and the Remington rifled slugs work good also but stay away from the Winchester stuff. Any other info you guys have to help out a noob to the S-12 ? Can't wait it's almost like Christmas again.

Congrats! You will have to buy mags at the minimum.

As for ammo, I've only done some light polishing to my gun and it eats everything (although I've never tried the win universal garbage)!

For break in what ammo should I use? I want to get it broke in and then if I have any FTE's or FTF's I can call Cadiz and get it taken care of.

I'd say field strip the gun and apply some reel grease to the rails, the contact points of the bolt carrier, and the ejector arm channel. put a little oil in the rotating part of the bolt. Rack the bolt about 10 times then pull it back out and look around for any contact points. Apply grease where you see the black removed.

Get a 100 rnd box of 7-1/2 rem or federal bird shot from walmart & see if it cycles that. Also grab some 2-3/4" 00 buck. That's a pretty wide range between shot and should tell you how the gun behaves.

Thanks guys, if I polish it up when I get it would that void the warranty? I have been reading the old bolt and feed ramp polishing threads and they sound like very good ideas even if the weapon doesn't have any FTE's or FTF's . But i don't want to void the factory warranty until I'm sure it works ok. I guess I'll just break it in as you guys suggested and then go from there. Thanks again, the Duke.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got it and am going to shoot it today. I took the gas adjuster out and I have what looks to be a 3 hole gun. I could see 3 large holes and I took some 12 gauge copper wire I have and felt around for a 4th hole. I didn't find one but I can actually get the 12 gauge wire into the 3 holes that are there. I am going to shoot it in just a little while and will post back the results. Also one of my 5 rnd. mags will not lock into the mag receiver looks like it needs some filing. It is a factory mag that came with the gun from Classic arms. It has a certificate date of 2006 and the gun has a certificate date of 11/30/08 and the mag that was in the box with the gun fits great. I will file some material off the back of the mag and see what happens then.

Well I got it and am going to shoot it today. I took the gas adjuster out and I have what looks to be a 3 hole gun. I could see 3 large holes and I took some 12 gauge copper wire I have and felt around for a 4th hole. I didn't find one but I can actually get the 12 gauge wire into the 3 holes that are there. I am going to shoot it in just a little while and will post back the results. Also one of my 5 rnd. mags will not lock into the mag receiver looks like it needs some filing. It is a factory mag that came with the gun from Classic arms. It has a certificate date of 2006 and the gun has a certificate date of 11/30/08 and the mag that was in the box with the gun fits great. I will file some material off the back of the mag and see what happens then.

Mike from MD arms has good info on fitting for a gun, and also someone did a writeup on fitting the promags. A quick review of those should give you the best info to have in hand befor taking the file to it. I sort of stumbled through my taiwan mag when i got it, but that info wasn't available to me then.

If you can't find them, ask again and i'll try to.

Edited by Nailbomb

The factory mags are like that with this latest run of guns. I have 2 mags that were fitted to my last year run 4 port gun and neither will fit into my most recent run 3 port gun. Even the mag that came with the 3 port gun was super tight. I had to file around the opening in the bottom of the reciever because the metal mag lips were locking into it where it shouldn't.

Edited by dae.edorian

Well we just got back and it performed very well. At first it had some problems feeding about 3 rounds, then it wasn't ejecting on setting 1 so I put it on 2 and it ejected everything. I ran Federal 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 through it as well as some 00 buck. After about 15 rounds I was able to switch back to setting 1 and it only FTE 1 round in the next 110 rounds. By the time we were on the last 2 mags it was ejecting the light loads over 10 feet away from the gun. So I think I got a good one. I am planning to polish up the bolt but I didn't want to do anything until I shot it first. We took the 7.62 x 39 along for some additional fun. Man I love these weapons my son and I and one of my friends had a great time shooting up some plastic penguins. Thanks for all the info on break in ammo. can't wait to run some slugs through it.