Got my 2nd S12 today from centerfire systems.

I went and picked up my 2nd Saiga 12 from the FFL today and wanted to give everyone a quick comparison of it to my other gun that was purchased from Deerslayer40 in Febuary '08.

I haven't shot it so nothing to report there, I just mopped it up and test fit all of my mags.

Notes from field strip & lube job:

- It's a 3 port gun.

- It was only $549 shipped

- Everything looks fine on it. The action was pretty sticky initially, but once I mopped it down with a Rem wipe, then hit the typical contact points with reel grease or lucas gun oil the action freed up considerably. I could even ride the action down to about an inch from the ejector arm touching it's channel and it would close all the way (after applying some reel grease to that channel to help the arm ride up it).

Notes from Mag fit test:

- The mag that came with the gun was a really tight fit and I had to rock it back a lot harder than I'm used to to get it to lock. First try didn't lock. Second, harder tug didn't lock. 3rd forceful tug and it locked albeit rather soft. Then, I couldn't get the mag out. I had to put the barrel end on the carpet and use both hands to get the mag free! Sir Vodka Ruskie was on the job fitting my mag!

- Surefire 13 rnder didn't lock. Even with the forceful rock it didn't catch. My other Surefire 13 rndr did lock with a forceful tug. Then I was able to get the first mag to catch.

- My 2 Modified, 1st run GEN2 AGPs all locked right in without a problem, and even would rattle if you rocked it. They behave the same in my 4 port gun (these mags were too wide and shells would bind up because the ejector ring was able to walk forward out of the ring channel so I sanded the mating surfaces of the mag body halves down a lot to reduce the width and snug in on the shell).

- My 2 unmodified later run GEN 2 AGPs required some force to get to latch, but they did go and felt a bit tighter in the gun than the modified ones.

- My 2 factory mags that obviously required little if any fitting both locked in with a lot of force.

In my 4 port gun all AGP mags rattle around and are a little loose. Factory mags are tight with a little bit of travel, and the surefires are tight, no travel.

The new mag that came with the 3 port gun locked right into my 4 port gun without issue.

IF I decide I want this gun to fit mags better I think I'll file down a little bit from the rear mag latch.

Anyhow, that's all I have for now. I'll take both guns up to the in-laws farm next week and destroy something and report back how it cycles with the 5 rnd mags since I don't have a US gas piston to throw in it. :rolleyes:

dang i paid 650 for saiga at a store. but then again it took me a week to find it and it was the only one within a few 100 miles....

I had to do the waiting list thing, which was no problem since I already have a perfectly functioning converted S12.

The place that did the FFL transfer had an S12 hanging on the wall. Price tag hanging from it was $610.

Sounds like you got a great deal!

At the local shop here they are asking $750. Just like twistedpsyche, I laugh every time I see it.

What part of FL are you guys from? I have a new MD20 coming in tomorrow that I am going to have to break in this weekend :devil:

I'm in the Tampa area.

Heh.. small world, hobbyshooter.. as the Saiga 12 that I bought late last week, (arriving next Monday), was also bought from ol "deerslayer40" on gunbroker. I obviously haven't inspected the gun yet, but I have no complaints about the sale at all. It was decently priced, ($589 buyout), and he shipped it the same day he received my money order.

Please forgive my ignorance but I have to ask as I've read a bit on these boards about "vodka specials".. i.e. guns with fewer than 4 ports. Some have even said that they only have 2 gas ports on their S-12's. Is this a deliberate design change or a fuckup at Izhmash?

From the little I've read, I have a feeling that the gun I bought probably has 3 ports, (though I'd love to be wrong and discover that it has 4).. is that sufficient to cycle low brass or should I send it in for warranty work if it does have fewer than 4 gas ports, (assuming that it should have 4 gas ports)?

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I forgot to comment: The barrel is straight. I've seen some vodka specials that looked like the barrel was threaded wacked so attachments would point to the side and interfere with the shot. This gun doesn't seem to have any of those issues, only the tight mag latch.

Lets go run a few hundred rounds through it this weekend. :devil:

Hope all went well with the FFL transfer and glad to see you got it.

Everything went great with the FFL transfer. Real nice guy, and not too far of a drive. He cut $5 off just for the hell of it too for a total of $40 out the door FFL & a box of Corbon .45. Can't beat that!

I should be able to do some shooting Sunday if your up for it. Saturday We've got a bunch of family stuff going on.

Sounds like you got a great deal!

At the local shop here they are asking $750. Just like twistedpsyche, I laugh every time I see it.

What part of FL are you guys from? I have a new MD20 coming in tomorrow that I am going to have to break in this weekend :devil:

I'm in the Tampa area.

Yeah it's the best deal going right now.

RRice and I live in Jax. I knew him years ago from the drag racing community and had no idea he was into Saigas until I was telling him about mine at a party last year. lol

Heh.. small world, hobbyshooter.. as the Saiga 12 that I bought late last week, (arriving next Monday), was also bought from ol "deerslayer40" on gunbroker. I obviously haven't inspected the gun yet, but I have no complaints about the sale at all. It was decently priced, ($589 buyout), and he shipped it the same day he received my money order.

Please forgive my ignorance but I have to ask as I've read a bit on these boards about "vodka specials".. i.e. guns with fewer than 4 ports. Some have even said that they only have 2 gas ports on their S-12's. Is this a deliberate design change or a fuckup at Izhmash?

From the little I've read, I have a feeling that the gun I bought probably has 3 ports, (though I'd love to be wrong and discover that it has 4).. is that sufficient to cycle low brass or should I send it in for warranty work if it does have fewer than 4 gas ports, (assuming that it should have 4 gas ports)?

My dealing with Deerslayer40 was great. He's always been about $40 more than centerfire, but his inventory is a little more consistent.

As for 3 ports vs 4 or 2; who knows. It could be a screwup, it could be a design change. If your gun is from the latest shipment it'll probably be 3 port. From what I hear they cycle pretty good but sometimes FTE when fresh out of the box. Be sure to grease the gun up before shooting it. If it still FTE on bird shot try a King Armory gas puck (I'm going to order one today just to bring the gun into compliant parts count for big mags, and to post up my impressions after trying both), and a Gun fixer gas knob. If it still FTE after that you can either drill the ports larger, add a port, or try some lighter weight bolt carrier springs from a 1911. OR: Send it to Cadiz for warranty port work.

Edited by hobbyshooter
Jax is a bit of a drive for me, lol.

It would be great to do a Florida Saiga get together though.

Yes I think it's a 5 hour drive. It's been a few years since I've made the trek though. Tampa is nice. Jax has a lot of ghetto & crime. It's like Atlanta but minus the.. uh.. culture.

Update on the tight fitting mags. It looks like the feed lips are rubbing on the radiused rear corners of the opening in the bottom of the receiver. I'm going to have to get a small file and open those up a tad.