S12 with threaded barrel (muzzle attachment)

OK...

As I understand it, my S12 with a threaded barrel (muzzle attachment aka Thread Protector) counts as foreign part #14 on the 922r list.

Cool.

So, does adding a US made attachment, e.g. muzzle brake, flash suppressor or choke, count as a 922r compliance part?

Please forgive me if this has been covered a thousand times, I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

OK...

As I understand it, my S12 with a threaded barrel (muzzle attachment aka Thread Protector) counts as foreign part #14 on the 922r list.

Cool.

So, does adding a US made attachment, e.g. muzzle brake, flash suppressor or choke, count as a 922r compliance part?

Please forgive me if this has been covered a thousand times, I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

IMHO the Thread Protector counts as the 14th part. If you replace it with a US made part, of some type you have 3 more to go.

Yes, I also believe that the Forearm is a part that counts toward 922® compliance. I say believe because I am not a lawyer and can not give you legal advice.

2nd question...

Does this forearm count as a compliance part?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...il?sfs=69540197

It is made in the US, it is a forearm, other US made forearms are compliance parts.

Yes.

Why wouldn't it?

Just like you said; "It is made in the US, it is a forearm, other US made forearms are compliance parts."

2nd question...

It is made in the US, it is a forearm, other US made forearms are compliance parts.

Yes it counts as 1.

Greg

2nd question...

Yes.

Why wouldn't it?

Just like you said; "It is made in the US, it is a forearm, other US made forearms are compliance parts."

Why wouldn't it?

I just wasn't sure, many items are listed specifically as 922r compliance parts in their description, and some such as this aren't.

Thank you for your replies.

It can be quite problematic to directly interpret the law for someone else. I know that on my gun the hand guard (Forearm) counts. On other people's, I "believe" it does...

The reason for ChileRelleno confusion is obvious, many parts are marked "US Made" that do not count for 922® compliance.

Correct.

Part of my ....confusion.... :rolleyes: ...... is how some parts may be interpreted by local/state/federal LEOs, i.e. they decide that the part I question constitutes a rail system and is not a forearm per se, and therefore not a compliance part under 922r.

Understand, I try to look at things from multiple angles, and the views/interpretations of many LEOs can vary widely.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Well it would not really matter if it were a "Rail System" or a forearm would it? It really does not matter how many US Parts you have, what matters is that you have less then 10 Foreign parts.

So, you are confused.

HTH!

2nd question...

Yes.

Why wouldn't it?

Why wouldn't it?

I just wasn't sure, many items are listed specifically as 922r compliance parts in their description, and some such as this aren't.

Thank you for your replies.

Forearms/handguards are specifically listed in 922r.

I guess I can see where you're coming from, but if it's coming down to you worrying about it, you can always opt for a non-railed handguard of some kind.

I've got a Chaos rail on my S12. Personally, I don't see how any authority could say it's not a "handguard/forearm" just because it's a rail. Maybe that's just me though.

...I've got a Chaos rail on my S12. Personally, I don't see how any authority could say it's not a "handguard/forearm" just because it's a rail. Maybe that's just me though.

It appears that some are missing the point here, it does not matter what "they" call it. If the OEM foreign made part is not there, you could have a US made Coffee Maker mounted in its place and you would be just fine. The whole objective is to reduce the number of parts from the list to 10 or less. You could have 100 US parts, but if you have over 10 foreign parts the gun would still not be in compliance.

We are discussing 922® here, I have no firsthand knowledge of any state laws except, NC, SC and GA.

• 5 weeks later...

So a US made muzzle brake or flash hider would be 922r compliant since in the Soupbowl sticky of this section it is item 5:

"(5) Muzzle attachments (shotguns w/ threaded barrels only)"

It seems obvious from the language, but for some reason, people seem to be more sure that the gas puck is compliant

than any sort of muzzle brake/flash hider/choke part. :unsure:

... It seems obvious from the language, but for some reason, people seem to be more sure that the gas puck is compliant

No really, there is just a lot of gas puck related discussion here lately. It seems that way because there are some new high quality gas pucks available for a decent price.

On the other hand, I have built 3 S12s and never replaced a gas puck yet. I am waiting to see how the combination of the Gasfixer plug works with the King Armory Gas Puck works.

... It seems obvious from the language, but for some reason, people seem to be more sure that the gas puck is compliant

No really, there is just a lot of gas puck related discussion here lately. It seems that way because there are some new high quality gas pucks available for a decent price.

On the other hand, I have built 3 S12s and never replaced a gas puck yet. I am waiting to see how the combination of the Gasfixer plug works with the King Armory Gas Puck works.

But I have heard in other discussions that the US brake/hider alternative is not compliant, which does not seem correct given the Soupbowl language.

Yes the front grip is a p22r part if its made in the USA.

Yes the break counts, though some have argued that it dosn't. I don't understand where the threading on the barrel(a part of the barrel) would ever be the part. If that were the case then the barrels KA is making will count as 2 parts, and i highly doubt that...