Hi,

New here with new Saiga. Older guy living in upstate NY (Wayne Co.).

I'm happy with the Saiga sporter stock and rearward trigger placement and plan to keep both. They keep my older eyes further from the rear sight which makes the rear sight picture clearer. Besides, I won't be frightening the old ladies in the neighborhood....anymore than I already do.

I would like the capability of going to high capacity magazines with minimum work if the SHTF. Until then, I'll be happy enough banging away with the factory 10 rounders.

What I'm planning to do is install one of Dinzag's bullet guides and pick up a dozen or so metal, pre-ban Hungarian "High Capacity" magazines from Copes. The pre-ban mags will stay on the shelf until needed.

From Dinzag's site, it appears that the factory mags will still work with the bullet guide and I'll have the functional 10 rd. sporter I purchased. If things get bad, I'll simply trim magazine catch enough to accept the pre-ban magazines and I should be in business. Since the mags are pre-ban, I shouldn't be violating any NYS laws. The Dinzag site says that factory x39 mags will probably still work, even with the filed mag catch...anyone confirmed that?

I understand there's some question about 922r compliance with high capacity mags but, if things are really in a fast downhill slide, who's going to be going around counting the U.S. parts in guns? Besides, I don't know if 922r applies to pre-ban magazines.

So, you guys are the experts. What little I know about these guns has come from here. What are the holes in this plan?

Thanks.

Bob

From Dinzag's site, it appears that the factory mags will still work with the bullet guide and I'll have the functional 10 rd. sporter I purchased. If things get bad, I'll simply trim magazine catch enough to accept the pre-ban magazines and I should be in business. Since the mags are pre-ban, I shouldn't be violating any NYS laws. The Dinzag site says that factory x39 mags will probably still work, even with the filed mag catch...anyone confirmed that?
Only a few hundred of us.
Besides, I don't know if 922r applies to pre-ban magazines.
922r is a Federal law. Your "pre-ban" magazine requirement is a state law. Now you know.

US

gas puck +1 Good luck on finding one for a rifle. I believe you were thinking "gas piston". This is the way I'd go for in a factory Saiga. No external changes to the rifle, but you get your 922r compliance when using US made mags.

fcg +3

hand guard +1

stock +1

pistol grip -1 Wait, what? Adding a pistol grip adds to your total parts count. If you use a US made one, it cancels itself out, but it is still counted into the total.

hi cap mag +3 Don't you mean "US made magazine"? They can be found in 10 round (or less) capacity, you know. Please stop dancing to the anti's tune.

Hey, 555JM...

PM me or email me sometime, and I will send you my cell number... you can give me a call anytime... you are no more than an hour west of me... I would be happy to go over any questions you have and offer suggestions on whatever may interest you.

When I move, I will be about 30 minutes closer to you... LOL

:smoke:

id seriously rethink converting it... the as pointed out the FCG gives you 3 and US made stock gives you one more.. and additionally the aftermarket FCG by tapco functions one million times better..

http://www.mojosights.com/ak47_sks.html <--add a rear peep sight for the...eyes that have seen a lot in their time and thus "aint what they used to be" :-P

Make sure your stock is NATO length so you get that extra LOP, you may find that will be just as good as the regular stock.

Converting is worth it just for the massively better trigger pull alone.

Saiga-ak.jpg

^--and it's cool that it ends up looking like that ;-P (note : that's a Warsaw length stock, NATO stocks are 1.5 inches longer. You can get a slip-on "recoil pad" to add an extra inch of pull if you need)

I live in Upstate NY (Ontario county) and would have no problem helping you out with converting your rifle if you need. I don't have a Dremel tool (I used an air drill) so if you don't have one you'll have to pick one up from Wal-Mart :-P

If you don't want a totally evil look, nab a thumbhole style stock by ATI or something, adds a PG but still gives it a somewhat sporty look.

Edited by Big Boss
http://www.mojosights.com/ak47_sks.html <--add a rear peep sight for the...eyes that have seen a lot in their time and thus "aint what they used to be" :-P

Make sure your stock is NATO length so you get that extra LOP, you may find that will be just as good as the regular stock.

Saiga-ak.jpg

^--and it's cool that it ends up looking like that ;-P (note : that's a Warsaw length stock, NATO stocks are 1.5 inches longer. You can get a slip-on "recoil pad" to add an extra inch of pull if you need)

I live in Upstate NY (Ontario county) and would have no problem helping you out with converting your rifle if you need. I don't have a Dremel tool (I used an air drill) so if you don't have one you'll have to pick one up from Wal-Mart :-P

Thanks for the offer of help, Big Boss. I'll give it some thought. I'm sure the Saiga's trigger would be improved by a conversion, but will give myself a chance to get used to it first. I actually prefer the "dorky but dangerous" look of the Saiga over that of the "evil" AK. Kinda like an updated SKS.

I've got a dremel, a drill press and some metal working experience, so don't imagine a conversion would be too tough once I knew what needed to be done. We'll see; the jury's still out.

Thanks especially for the mojosights link. Most all of my other unscoped rifles have aperture sights. They work much better than opens for me. Wondered about a peep sight setup for the Saiga. Would you recommend the click-stop or the screw adjustable version? I seldom monkey with sights once they're zeroed, but appreciate a sight that holds its zero in spite of rough treatment.

Your conversion looks great, BTW.

Bob

Saiga-ak.jpg

Thanks for the offer of help, Big Boss. I'll give it some thought. I'm sure the Saiga's trigger would be improved by a conversion, but will give myself a chance to get used to it first. I actually prefer the "dorky but dangerous" look of the Saiga over that of the "evil" AK. Kinda like an updated SKS.

I've got a dremel, a drill press and some metal working experience, so don't imagine a conversion would be too tough once I knew what needed to be done. We'll see; the jury's still out.

Thanks especially for the mojosights link. Most all of my other unscoped rifles have aperture sights. They work much better than opens for me. Wondered about a peep sight setup for the Saiga. Would you recommend the click-stop or the screw adjustable version? I seldom monkey with sights once they're zeroed, but appreciate a sight that holds its zero in spite of rough treatment.

Your conversion looks great, BTW.

Bob

I've never used them, but it's my general feeling that anything you can mess with without a tool required to do the job is a Good Thing, so I'd go with the click-adjustable model, TBH.

I can understand liking the look of the sporter Saiga over the AK configuration, I really liked it too, but the temptation to make it fully into an AK was just too great ;-P

"I would like the capability of going to high capacity magazines with minimum work if the SHTF. Until then, I'll be happy enough banging away with the factory 10 rounders."

Get the hi-cap mags and there's your minimum work. Cost of the mags only.

Get the mags and then worry about conversion later.

If shtf 922 can kiss my ass, the hi-cap mags are going in.

They will not be enforcing 922 if children's backs are on fire....

Yea, yea don't worry, today I added a bunch of US made parts so I'm ok, but if shtf I wouldn't really care about 922 compliance because you'll have bigger things to worry about.

If shtf 922 can kiss my ass, the hi-cap mags are going in.

They will not be enforcing 922 if children's backs are on fire....

but if shtf I wouldn't really care about 922 compliance because you'll have bigger things to worry about.

My thoughts, exactly!