I recently purchased a Saiga-12 and have a couple of concerns. Maybe someone here could help me out. The manual says to avoid dry firing the weapon to prevent possible damage. If the chamber is latched in an open position to ease magazine loading and then closed, the gun will be cocked ( with no round in chamber). The manual also states not to leave the gun cocked because of the residual strain on the mainspring. To prevent this the hammer will have to be released. Is there any other way to release the hammer without dry firing? It seems like a catch 22 situation.

Another question concerns the gas cylinder adjustment. Does it make any difference which way (clockwise or counter clockwise) the gas cylinder stopper is turned when changing between position 1 and 2 ? I intend to primarily shoot 2 3/4 " rifle slugs and was under the impression that position 1 was the setting to use for all slugs. The manual says to use position 1 for 3" shells and position 2 for all other rounds. What is correct ?

Would a Paradox choke be recommended for shooting slugs? Any particular brand?

King Armory has a brake/supressor for the Saiga's. Any experience with their products?

Thanks for the help....I'm sort of "lost in the woods" when it comes to this model shotgun.

Richard

I recently purchased a Saiga-12 and have a couple of concerns. Maybe someone here could help me out. The manual says to avoid dry firing the weapon to prevent possible damage. If the chamber is latched in an open position to ease magazine loading and then closed, the gun will be cocked ( with no round in chamber). The manual also states not to leave the gun cocked because of the residual strain on the mainspring. To prevent this the hammer will have to be released. Is there any other way to release the hammer without dry firing? It seems like a catch 22 situation.

Kalashnikov pattern longarms, including Saiga rifles and shotguns, can be dry-fired with no problems. If for whatever reason you do want to lower the hammer more gently anyway, the only way to do it is by removing the top cover and recoil spring, which will then give you clear access to the hammer. Press down on the hammer with your thumb and pull the trigger to release the hammer from it, then ease the hammer up until it rests against the back of the bolt, and then just reinstall the recoil spring and top cover (needless to say the Saiga 12 should be unloaded before doing any of this).

Another question concerns the gas cylinder adjustment. Does it make any difference which way (clockwise or counter clockwise) the gas cylinder stopper is turned when changing between position 1 and 2 ?

Make sure the gas knob is screwed in all the way (until it stops), and then back it out until you hit the first position (could be either 1 or 2). To change to the second position just rotate it counter-clockwise, and to go back to the first position just rotate it clockwise.

I intend to primarily shoot 2 3/4 " rifle slugs and was under the impression that position 1 was the setting to use for all slugs. The manual says to use position 1 for 3" shells and position 2 for all other rounds. What is correct ?

As the Saiga 12 is designed position 1 is the high-base/magnum shell setting (where the shells can be either 2-3/4" or 3"), and position 2 is the low-base/non-magnum shell setting (where the shells are usually just 2-3/4"). However, because Russian manufacturing methods are somewhat inconsistent the number and diameter of gas ports can vary a little from one Saiga 12 to the next. So a shell, be it high base or low base, that might cycle in one Saiga 12 on the number 1 setting might only cycle in another Saiga 12 if it is on the number 2 setting, or vice versa. The simplest way of dealing with this (and of making sure you don't put undue wear and tear on your Saiga 12) is to just always leave your Saiga 12 on the number 1 setting, and only change it to the number 2 setting if the ammo isn't cycling.

Would a Paradox choke be recommended for shooting slugs? Any particular brand?

The Paradox choke is a rifled choke intended for unrifled slugs (like sabot slugs). If you are using rifled slugs then you of course wouldn't need it. Moreover, the Paradox choke is very rare here in the U.S., and they are just about impossible to find anyway.

King Armory has a brake/supressor for the Saiga's. Any experience with their products?

I don't have any direct experience myself with the King Armory Saiga 12 brake/suppressor, but King Armory has a good reputation on parts and customer service.

By the way, Tromix has a tips page on the Saiga 12 you may want to check out at:

http://www.tromix.com/saiga-servicetips.htm

Edited by Frogfoot