safety lever interchangeability?

I noticed the safety lever goes up too far after the conversion process - and the safety has the bottom portion ground off compared to the standard AK one. Why is this ground down? And would the standard rifle lever work as a replacement to solve the problem of this over-travel?

THe dust cover is supposed to limit safety over travel.

The safety is designed to travel all the way to 12 o'clock (this is how you disassemble it).

When you say "bottom portion", do you mean the WHOLE bottom of just the left side (muzzle pointed away from you) ?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reason the safety goes too far up after a conversion has to do with your new disconnector not having the "tail" that the original had. The tail is (I think) a full auto feature that is not needed in any semi-auto. It does, however, serve the dual purpose of catching a tab on the safety lever to prevent it from going too far up. This makes disassembly more tricky, but I feel makes for a tighter weapon. After converting mine, the safety goes up to the point that it becomes very difficult to disengage. I will remedy that at some point with an arsenal disconnector.