Using a S-12 to defend against an opponent wearing soft body armor

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question are discussing how pissed off someone wearing body armor will be after being shot. Or should we defeat the body armor and not worry about the target being pissed. also what about multiple hits on a target wearing body armor. will they be mutiply pissed.

Ted nugent for president.

Now, a bullet, or a fist, or whatever, hitting something soft, like a cushion, or airbag, or whatever, will take a longer period of time to decelerate, and therefore deliver a smaller force.

. . . but you're forgetting that while it is 'taking a longer time to decelerate' against your soft body armor, it is displacing parts of you that probably shouldn't be displaced (we're back to blunt force trauma).

This thread started out as "12 gauge vs soft body armor", so let's keep it on track.

Now, a bullet, or a fist, or whatever, hitting something soft, like a cushion, or airbag, or whatever, will take a longer period of time to decelerate, and therefore deliver a smaller force.

. . . but you're forgetting that while it is 'taking a longer time to decelerate' against your soft body armor, it is displacing parts of you that probably shouldn't be displaced (we're back to blunt force trauma).

That's what blunt force trauma is: a real-life application of the impulse-momentum theorem. Even against soft body armor, the slug will decelerate very rapidly, and thus generate a large force, thereby displacing internal parts as you said.

I would point to the real world incident of the North Hollywood shoot out, where the assailants had made suits of armor from Aramid. I believe this constituted soft armor, probably equivalent to II or IIIA. The buck shot from the LEO 12 gauge shot guns had negligable effect on the assailants. Now mind you these guys had taken drugs to minimize pain, and were probably mentally prepared to be shot, so it may not represent all cases. This also doesn't address slugs, but it seems common sense that if a shotgun round to the chest fails to stop an assailant, it's time to try something else, be it a shot to a different part of the body, or a different type of weapon.

While use of armor by criminals is rare, thugs well equiped by South American/Mexican drug cartels are begining to apear with armor (though mostly the violence is confined to drug related persons). In my own town three men invaded a home with hard armor and AK-47s, occupants were shot but survived. While I'd give the S-12 the edge over a rifle for being able to rapidly deliver potentially disabling fire to the head and extremities of the assailants at close range, I still doubt there's much one could have done there and survive but surrender (except maybe for those people who sit around their house in level III armor).

For lawful private citizens minding their own business, the odds of encountering an assailant with armor is probably rare to none. And for that off chance, that's what the Mozambique Drill is about (I'd say as appropriate to shot guns as pistols). I'd hope since the North Hollywood shoot out our LEO around the country have been taught the same thing.

what about hydralic shock to the bodys organs

Did you mean "hydrostatic shock" ?

If so, that is usually associatied with a penetrating wound.

We're talking about a target wearing soft body armor that will not allow projectile penetration.