Conversion in New Hampshire

I just bought my first 3 Saigas... the 12, .223, and 7.62x.39. I'm hoping to get the .308 as well, and maybe the .410. I'd like to have them all converted. I've never done any sort of gunsmithing work at all, and would prefer to have someone else do the trigger jobs, lest I damage something. Could anyone reccomend someone in NH that is familiar with Saigas and could do this for me? Thanks.

I'm in NH and just converted my .223 and it was very easy. Where abouts are you? I'd be willing to steer you along but you would need to do the work. Again, it's very easy.

I'm in the Plymouth area. I watched a video on YouTube of a guy doing a conversion. It seemed simple enough. I'm just not very mechanically inclined, and taking a drill to some rifles I just spent money on may not be a good idea. If it's as easy as it looked on the video though, I'll give it a shot. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

I know what you mean about being concerned about taking a drill to a "perfectly" good weapon. I've owned mine for 4 years and finally chose to go ahead and do it; it was so relatively easy I don't know why I waited. I now consider it "almost perfect" as I still have a few more things I want to do. The video definately helped me out as well as reading through the posts here. The hardest part for me was the removal of the plate on the bottom. A dremel with a grinding stone really comes in handy here. The bolt hold open was a little bit of a pain and there are a couple of methods for putting this back in if you choose to do so. Carolina Shooting Supply has a pretty good video stickied at the top of his area for installing the BHO (he is also great to deal with). I also purchased MSA's AR adapter and did that modification at the same time which was a little more involved but not to difficult. I chose to use the 500 deg. duplicolor ceramic black paint others on here recommended for touching up the bottom of the receiver and really liked the finish. Best advice is read up on here as much as possible as there is a wealth of knowledge and watch the videos because they put all the words into perspective. I would post photos but can't seem to figure out how to get them on here. Above all else take your time and it will go smoothly. I'm in the Upper Valley area not to far away if you have trouble.

I just bought my first 3 Saigas... the 12, .223, and 7.62x.39. I'm hoping to get the .308 as well, and maybe the .410. I'd like to have them all converted. I've never done any sort of gunsmithing work at all, and would prefer to have someone else do the trigger jobs, lest I damage something. Could anyone reccomend someone in NH that is familiar with Saigas and could do this for me? Thanks.

Oldpaths111 - you are my hero!!!!

I wish I could own all of these babies too! I am a ways away from NH, but PM me any time for help - I've converted 2 Saigas (sadly only one of my own :-( ) and I did a ton of research as well, so mine my knowledge while it's fresh :-)

Oldpaths,

Which shop are you getting these from and did they have anything left. Was thinking of picking up a second .223.

Thanks and let us know how it goes converting.

dgunnar

The 12, .223 and 7.62 I got from Pemi Firearms. It's a small shop in Campton. The owners name is Bruce. He's a great guy and his prices are very reasonable. As of last week he still had several Saigas in stock, although I'm not sure which ones.

The .308 I bought online at GunBroker.com from a shop in Kentucky. I bought it on layaway and will have it in a month or so.

I haven't started any conversions yet, but am looking forward to it. I'll keep in touch.