1,000,000 yard rifle?

Thinking about getting a .223. What kind of groups are you guys getting at 100 yards with yours? And also, does anybody have any experience with the 22lr conversions that you can get for the AK? I'm really looking at an AR because of that feature but would prefer an AK that had the AR magwell installed. Thanks mucho.

Thinking about getting a .223. What kind of groups are you guys getting at 100 yards with yours? And also, does anybody have any experience with the 22lr conversions that you can get for the AK? I'm really looking at an AR because of that feature but would prefer an AK that had the AR magwell installed. Thanks mucho.

I am getting 3-4" groups at 100 yards with mine. (Without a scope) I'm kind of new to the Saiga, so I think you can do better then I with some practice.

As for the 22 conversion.....Here's my thoughts for what they're worth......I think making a 22 out of an AK should be a crime punishable by public Flogging.

I understand the high cost of shooting many rounds of .223 and/or .762 as I am in the same boat. What I did, was go get a Ruger 10-22 for plinking. It is a great, low cost, dependable gun that can easly be upgraded to look like an AR. I would bet that by the time you got done mod'ing an AR, you could have your AR (or AK) AND buy a Hopped up 10-22.

Check out this link for a pic of one...http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67424

Edited by Fett

I am getting 3-4" groups at 100 yards with mine. (Without a scope) I'm kind of new to the Saiga, so I think you can do better then I with some practice.

As for the 22 conversion.....Here's my thoughts for what they're worth......I think making a 22 out of an AK should be a crime punishable by public Flogging.

I understand the high cost of shooting many rounds of .223 and/or .762 as I am in the same boat. What I did, was go get a Ruger 10-22 for plinking. It is a great, low cost, dependable gun that can easly be upgraded to look like an AR. I would bet that by the time you got done mod'ing an AR, you could have your AR (or AK) AND buy a Hopped up 10-22.

Check out this link for a pic of one...http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67424

At the risk of being flogged....I go camping in Colorado sometimes and like to take a rifle or a shotgun. I would like to start taking a 22 with me without the extra weight and space of another gun. That's what this would be for is a good backpacking combo.

At the risk of being flogged....I go camping in Colorado sometimes and like to take a rifle or a shotgun. I would like to start taking a 22 with me without the extra weight and space of another gun. That's what this would be for is a good backpacking combo.

I'm just messing with you. But really, what I would suggest is a 10-22 with a Butler Ridge folding stock. It is great for back packing and very small when folded. Everything I've seen and heard says that you run the risk of messing up your barrel due to the different barrel twists between a 223 and a 22. Also, there are different kits that work differently, so do some research and if you still want to do it, get a good kit with the complete upper receiver.

Edited by Fett
I have a 10/22. Love it, just want a little more punch when I'm in Bear country.

Bear defense with a 223????? :eek:

I would get a cheap 870 12ga loaded up with slugs, or a magnum revolver. Honestly, on a charging bear, that .223 is just enough to piss it off.

I have a 10/22. Love it, just want a little more punch when I'm in Bear country.

I would get a cheap 870 12ga loaded up with slugs, or a magnum revolver. Honestly, on a charging bear, that .223 is just enough to piss it off.

I know it's not ideal but they are just black bear.

Even with multiple followup shots? I'd empty my damn mag into his head before he even got close... lol.

Edited by gothchick

Even with multiple followup shots? I'd empty my damn mag into his head before he even got close... lol.

Most black bears run away or avoid you all together. If you are not hunting for meat, it is illegal and unethical to kill a bear that is not posing a threat, so that narrows your bear scenario down to a charging bruin. I have shot a few bears, they are not easy to kill without a well placed shot. A well placed shot is easy on a "tree-ed" bear or a standing bear, but a charging bear's head is rapidly moving up and down with the thick of the skull facing you and his heart/lungs protected. Plus, a charging bear is in kill mode and pain alone will not stop him. You are better off with pepper spray than .223, at least that will temporarily blind him! And even if the bear backs off, you don't want a wounded bear, pissed off with eight .223 wounds, running around a park or campground. Get a Saiga-12 and OWN the woods!

Most black bears run away or avoid you all together. If you are not hunting for meat, it is illegal and unethical to kill a bear that is not posing a threat, so that narrows your bear scenario down to a charging bruin. I have shot a few bears, they are not easy to kill without a well placed shot. A well placed shot is easy on a "tree-ed" bear or a standing bear, but a charging bear's head is rapidly moving up and down with the thick of the skull facing you and his heart/lungs protected. Plus, a charging bear is in kill mode and pain alone will not stop him. You are better off with pepper spray than .223, at least that will temporarily blind him! And even if the bear backs off, you don't want a wounded bear, pissed off with eight .223 wounds, running around a park or campground. Get a Saiga-12 and OWN the woods!

Yeah, comes right down to it I'm not gonna feel real good with anything if a bear is charging. I had thought about getting the spray last time I went but I just brought the shotgun instead.

post-15138-1240876772.jpg

That's nice. I wish they made a stock that folded with just a hump instead of the pistol grip and basically no fore end. I was out playing around with mine the other night just shooting it without out the stock at all, got me thinking.

It's a fun plinker. I like the PG. I have the see through rings on the cheapo scope.

My daughter loves shooting it. Pretty reliable little gun.

There you go Dave, Sweet! I love that stock with the Stainless. That is the next buy for mine.

• 3 weeks later...

In reference to the title. . . after 25,000 miles or so, you'll hit yourself in the back.

I love the SS 10/22 on a Butler Creek stock. Since I already have a couple of other .22's I can't bring myself to buy another. I wish Butler Creek would make that stock for a Glenfield 60.

30 days after the SHTF, a good .22 and lots of ammo is a must have.

Or you can go the other way around, and make an AK out of a .22, and dare anyone to try and flog you...lol.

The "Krinker Plinker"

post-1293-1242918478.jpg

post-1293-1242918490_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1242918503_thumb.jpg

This is a great little drop in kit that turns a regular old 10/22 into a fun and easily transported weapon that's still just as accurate.

Just got one of the new drums for it too. Surprisingly it actually works and isn't too much of a pain to load.

post-1293-1242919058_thumb.jpg

Or you can go the other way around, and make an AK out of a .22, and dare anyone to try and flog you...lol.

The "Krinker Plinker"

post-1293-1242918478.jpg

post-1293-1242918490_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1242918503_thumb.jpg

This is a great little drop in kit that turns a regular old 10/22 into a fun and easily transported weapon that's still just as accurate.

Just got one of the new drums for it too. Surprisingly it actually works and isn't too much of a pain to load.

post-1293-1242919058_thumb.jpg

Man that is sweet! I would go that route for sure before the GS5, I think that what they are called.

doesn't a company from Malaysia or Indonesia make a 22lr AK? I remember reading good reviews for it in gun tests. I don't think it was very much cash either.

+1 on the 10/22 as pictured. I grew up with one pretty much as pictured above. It pretty much defined what I like a gun to feel like. Now I have one like that, and one in heavy barrel.

Instead of the drum, buy Tactical Innovations plastic mags. (or aluminum $$$!)They are much better than any other 10/22 mag. Also I have an older promag drum with metal lips and no loading lever on the back (the one pictured above is newer) if you do a forum search you will find that like me most people found that they were difficult to load, and incapable of feeding at all, or fed very badly. Maybe the new ones are good, but if it doesn't have that lever on the back don't buy it.

A note on the butler creek side folder: we have a couple that are older than I am (27) and I bought a new one a couple of years ago. the older ones are all stainless except for the spring in the hinge. They are also about 1.5" longer than the new ones. The old one fits nicer to me, but I think the new one was intended to clear drum mags and the like when folded. The new ones come in aluminum to keep down weight, blued, or if you look around and pay extra, stainless. The aluminum matches the aluminum finish on the receiver of your stainless ruger, costs and weighs less, so it might be the most backpack friendly.

Edited by GunFun
In reference to the title. . . after 25,000 miles or so, you'll hit yourself in the back.

I love the SS 10/22 on a Butler Creek stock. Since I already have a couple of other .22's I can't bring myself to buy another. I wish Butler Creek would make that stock for a Glenfield 60.

30 days after the SHTF, a good .22 and lots of ammo is a must have.

Amen brother!

The 10/22 in the pic, an old Marlin bolt action and a Ruger

Mark III plus 10,000 rds of 22 lr and all the rest is iceing on the cake..