I was looking at ammo yesterday and I saw some rifled slugs were labeled "For rifled barrels only", others were not. What the reason for the warning? Is there something bad that will/can happen if you shoot the labeled one's out of a smooth bore?

I was looking at ammo yesterday and I saw some rifled slugs were labeled "For rifled barrels only", others were not. What the reason for the warning? Is there something bad that will/can happen if you shoot the labeled one's out of a smooth bore?

Quickest and easiest: Google search "Shotgun Slugs". Everything you want to know.

Wow..You mean I can just use Google to find information to? :rolleyes:

I've read plenty of pages already. Not one of them addressed the issue, they all just regurgitate the same information:

"Less accuracy than a rifled barrel" and

"Saboted slugs are for rifle barrels only"

Now if you have something intelligent to say, I'm all ears.

What brand of slugs were these and where were you, in-store or on the internet? I'm no expert, but I thought rifled slugs were for smooth bores only. Maybe they were mislabeled? :unsure:

Edited by Raoul_Duke

If you put rifled slugs in a rifled barrel you'll just have a lot of lead deposites in the barrel to clean.

If you put sabots or rifled barrel only slugs ina smoothbore you won't have shit for accuracy and the rounds will tumble and not hit right.

its not going to blow up in your face or anything. Its just that the sabots and rifled barrel only slugs need the groves in the barrel to get a spin to stabilize.

the rifled deer slugs have rifling on the slug, and will fire fine out of a smoothbore.

that is all.

Wow..You mean I can just use Google to find information to? :rolleyes:

I've read plenty of pages already. Not one of them addressed the issue, they all just regurgitate the same information:

"Less accuracy than a rifled barrel" and

"Saboted slugs are for rifle barrels only"

Now if you have something intelligent to say, I'm all ears.

Yes, everything you want to know about shotgun slugs can be found with a Google search. Didn't have any problems searching basically the same question some time ago. Took awhile,yes.

Thanks Nailbomb Ive been wondering about that ever since I got my Saiga (which is my first ever shotgun) :wub: and didnt want to mess up!

If it were close range defense would a tumbling sabot slug actually do more damage? I guess as long as it hit it really wouldnt matter either way though :ded: !

Thanks Nailbomb Ive been wondering about that ever since I got my Saiga (which is my first ever shotgun) :wub: and didnt want to mess up!

If it were close range defense would a tumbling sabot slug actually do more damage? I guess as long as it hit it really wouldnt matter either way though :ded: !

More damage? than what? this is subjective. Personaly i would rather have the dependability and reliability of some 9 pellet 00 buck. hard to beat that for damage.

The two brands I saw labeled this way were Hornady TAP Saboted Slugs and Winchester X-Perts. The rounds looked more like rifle rounds in that they were 'missile tipped'. The slugs I've used in the past were blunt tipped, like .45 ACP rounds.

So Nailbomb, are you saying these rifle-like slugs would shoot poorly out of a smooth bore, but that there's no real danger in using them?

Most Foster-type slugs are soft lead with a hollow base and "rifling" or small grooves along the outer perimeter where the slug would contact the bore. These soft lead grooves crush down to allow the projectile to pass through chokes and back boring constrictions while travelling down the barrel, but impart little or no spin to the slug. Some sabot-slugs use a hard alloy lead copper jacketed or even a solid metal monolithic bullet which cannot crush down through any restrictions such as a choke tube. The sabot sleeve grips the rifle barrel lands and induces a spin stabilizing the projectile and will fall off shortly after leaving the muzzle. These are the slugs are usually marked "For Rifled Barrel Use Only".

The two brands I saw labeled this way were Hornady TAP Saboted Slugs and Winchester X-Perts. The rounds looked more like rifle rounds in that they were 'missile tipped'. The slugs I've used in the past were blunt tipped, like .45 ACP rounds.

So Nailbomb, are you saying these rifle-like slugs would shoot poorly out of a smooth bore, but that there's no real danger in using them?

Nope no danger, just VERY poor accuracy. its just not worth your time as those rounds are more expensive and you will get way less accuracy than you would a rifled deer slug, like the Sluggers that remington makes.

Roswin has explained this a little better than i did in the above post. Nice.

Edited by Nailbomb