Best modifications to improve reliability and performance in the 7.62x

What are the best modifications to make to the Saiga AK to improve reliability and performance? I really need this weapon to shine if the day ever comes that my life depends on it and right now the rifle just doesnt have a good feel to it with some FTF and FTEs that seem very ammo specific. Not being lazy just want to be through without asking leading questions. I would appreciate your effort and thanks in advance.

I am fairly handy and only balk at pressing out my own receiver and the like.

I only use factory or Surfire mags

I keep it very clean.

I only use brass case FMJ and Jacketed HP ammo.

Have most issues with Golden Tiger (which is very good ammo) but others as well.

So FCG? Though I didn't think that was a reliability change. Some help here guys please.

Edited by Rhodes1968
grease the hell out of the interior

everything. make it smell real bad then grease a little more

also people here talk about "polishing" no one ever describes WTF that actually is but it helps a lot i am told

Well if you can dump mud into it Im sure some grease wont hurt a thing even if dirt sticks to it. Tried my hand at polishing the bolt and hammer but think I was being too gentle with it.

What are the best modifications to make to the Saiga AK to improve reliability and performance? I really need this weapon to shine if the day ever comes that my life depends on it and right now the rifle just doesnt have a good feel to it with some FTF and FTEs that seem very ammo specific. Not being lazy just want to be through without asking leading questions. I would appreciate your effort and thanks in advance.

I keep it very clean.

Have most issues with Golden Tiger (which is very good ammo) but others as well.

So FCG? Though I didn't think that was a reliability change. Some help here guys please.

AKs don't "feel good" until you get used to them and they will never "feel" as good as a Colt but.....Is your rifle converted?Feed ramp,steel military magazines,good trigger mechanism?

The best way to "tune" a Saiga is to restore it's operating method to the original Kalashnikov layout and buy a case of the cheapest steel cased ammo you can find and shoot the piss out of it to break it in!

Once you have converted it to pistol grip,feed ramp,regular trigger then it shouldn't be very problematic and if it does have some sharp spots inside then shooting a bunch of steel cased ammo will usually work those out and smooth up the action.

Don't baby a Kalashnikov,don't ease the bolt forward,pull the handle back as far as it will go then let it fly!It is the most robust and reliable rifle in the world bar none if yours is having problems they are almost certainly due to modification or operator error.Otherwise your rifle must be broken,seriously.

By the way,surefire magazines aren't so great in my opinion and the sooner you can get a Dinzag feedramp in there and use some real military magazines the sooner your problems will go away.

Edited by SOPMOD

I keep it very clean.

AKs don't "feel good" until you get used to them and they will never "feel" as good as a Colt but.....Is your rifle converted?Feed ramp,steel military magazines,good trigger mechanism?

The best way to "tune" a Saiga is to restore it's operating method to the original Kalashnikov layout and but a case of the cheapest steel cased ammo you can find and shoot the piss out of it to break it in!

Once you have converted it to pistol grip,feed ramp,regular trigger then it shouldn't be very problematic and if it does have some sharp spots inside then shooting a bunch of steel cased ammo will usually work those out and smooth up the action.

Don't baby a Kalashnikov,don't ease the bolt forward,pull the handle back as far as it will go then let it fly!It is the most robust and reliable rifle in the world bar none if yours is having problems they are almost certainly due to modification or operator error.Otherwise your rifle must be broken,seriously.

By the way,surefire magazines aren't so great in my opinion and the sooner you can get a Dinzag feedramp in there and use some real military magazines the sooner your problems will go away.

Thanks for the replies gents.

Looking into conversion now leaning toward the Tapco G2. I can understand about the mags they are an issue on every auto-loader in the world almost. Keeping my eye out for some good military ones any suggestions on type?

Well that would normally be true but ammo has been a real expensive pita though Wolf would seem to fit the bill. Per the suggestion does any one a problem with adding the polish compound to the hammer to speed things along? My spidey sense is tingling at that idea. Perhaps more aggressive polishing with 300 then 600 then dremil steel brush followed by compound and cloth.

Problem Ive been having with GT and other lacquered ammo is the round will sometimes load out of battery about a third of an inch and result in a light strike even cold right after a good cleaning. A gentle push on the charging handle though seats it properly but this should not happen on a clean chamber should it? Happens on auto-loaded rounds as well as manual. I have considered hitting the chamber with 600 sandpaper wrapped around a nylon 45 cal cleaning brush to give good even pressure, any thoughts on this?

From what Im reading perhaps all these issues are simple break in and getting caught in the ammo crunch exasperates the issue.

I keep it very clean.

The best way to "tune" a Saiga is to restore it's operating method to the original Kalashnikov layout and but a case of the cheapest steel cased ammo you can find and shoot the piss out of it to break it in!

Looking into conversion now leaning toward the Tapco G2. I can understand about the mags they are an issue on every auto-loader in the world almost. Keeping my eye out for some good military ones any suggestions on type?

Well that would normally be true but ammo has been a real expensive pita though Wolf would seem to fit the bill. Per the suggestion does any one a problem with adding the polish compound to the hammer to speed things along? My spidey sense is tingling at that idea. Perhaps more aggressive polishing with 300 then 600 then dremil steel brush followed by compound and cloth.

Problem Ive been having with GT and other lacquered ammo is the round will sometimes load out of battery about a third of an inch and result in a light strike even cold right after a good cleaning. A gentle push on the charging handle though seats it properly but this should not happen on a clean chamber should it? Happens on auto-loaded rounds as well as manual. I have considered hitting the chamber with 600 sandpaper wrapped around a nylon 45 cal cleaning brush to give good even pressure, any thoughts on this?

From what Im reading perhaps all these issues are simple break in and getting caught in the ammo crunch exasperates the issue.

Any Chinese/European Military Magazine is better than an US Made Commercial Magazine.As long as it has no dents,rust,etc it will provide super reliable service even if it cost $8 and has no bluing left on it.The best mags money can buy are "Circle 10" Bulgarian Waffle Magazines but they aren't so much better that I would pay $32ea for them when good steel milsurp can be had for $15.

No no need to polish beyond some very fine emery cloth on wear areas if you must.These rifles get slicker with wear and even dry firing/reloading practice will do almost as much as shooting it.

Do this 500 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnqkgI-wo4k

Your rifle will be "slicker than snot" when you are done and you will have developed the muscle memory needed to run that rifle in your sleep.

I keep it very clean.

Any Chinese/European Military Magazine is better than an US Made Commercial Magazine.As long as it has no dents,rust,etc it will provide super reliable service even if it cost $8 and has no bluing left on it.The best mags money can buy are "Circle 10" Bulgarian Waffle Magazines but they aren't so much better that I would pay $32ea for them when good steel milsurp can be had for $15.

No no need to polish beyond some very fine emery cloth on wear areas if you must.These rifles get slicker with wear and even dry firing/reloading practice will do almost as much as shooting it.

Do this 500 times

Your rifle will be "slicker than snot" when you are done and you will have developed the muscle memory needed to run that rifle in your sleep.

Thanks again. Putting together the order for the conversion kit since I want to do that before breaking in the rifle. Any one see any errors?

Dinzag Arms;

FCGPGC1 FCG PG Saiga

AKECLIP E Clips

AKPGNS AK PG Nut w/Screw

AKNYHP Hole Plugs

Want to try and use the pistol grip thats currently on it , Taco T6, Since it looks like it should fit.

Edited by Rhodes1968

I keep it very clean.

Do this 500 times

Thanks again. Putting together the order for the conversion kit since I want to do that before breaking in the rifle. Any one see any errors?

FCGPGC1 FCG PG Saiga

AKECLIP E Clips

AKPGNS AK PG Nut w/Screw

AKNYHP Hole Plugs

Want to try and use the pistol grip thats currently on it , Taco T6, Since it looks like it should fit.

You will need a feedramp,US Gas Piston and a Magazine US floorplate and follower kit to remain legal and be able high capacity magazines under 922R if you already have a US stock and pistol grip but original forend.

Any 922R experts care to comment on this thread and help Rhodes1968 stay legal?

When last I looked, they meet that criteria the way they come out of the box.

"Performance" is quite a subjective word.

He's using aftermarket magazines..

He's using aftermarket magazines..

Using both factory and surfire mags. None of which should cause out of battery light strikes.

Performance is subjective but I had thought I had defined the issues I am most concerned about. Im not at all happy with the way the rifle is feeding and ejecting ammo.

The FCG is pure stock in fact the only change I made was one of shooting comfort with the telescoping stock and pistol grip. Im a pretty big guy and the factory stock was just too short by a large margin. Im willing to accept the Saiga needs breaking in but running $300 of ammo though it just isn't very good money management. So I'm looking for alternatives. If changing the FCG helps the rifles trigger thus helping shooting accuracy Im more than willing to do that also. If more aggressive polishing could help Im game but I have to get the FCG changed before "breaking in" or else Im wasting my time. I really dont need help with compliance thats been documented enough.

As for making changes to the magazines if it has another purpose than saving money on metal mags then fine I will go that route also but the only thing Ive seen as regards factory or surfire was cost not performance.

If Im not being clear please tell me what needs to be reworded. I do appreciate attempts to assist in this so dont think Im not grateful because I am. Its just a frustrating situation and Im looking for a way to repair it.