I have noticed a lot of the 3 gun guys have been showing threaded for remchoke s-12s for competitive shooting.

what chokes do you guys use? what do you do if there is a selective slug fire in a round? are they that much better than a polychoke?

I use the polychoke for versatility. But Internal chokes would be lighter and shorter on the gun. I think that's one of the reasons... and the taper from Full bore to choked can be longer, the Polychoke is a quick taper.

I used to use a Polychoke with a Remchoke threaded barrel for versatility it different stages of a match. I now use a full or modified Remchoke tube all the time as I got tired of having to clean the Polychoke after every match and a full/ modified choke tube will pretty much handle over 90% of your targets in a match. Threaded chokes should not disturb you slug groups too much and remember to sight in slugs with individual choke tubes due to the point of impact may vary with the different tube.

let me get this right- you guys are running slugs through your remington full chokes?

Remington 2 & 3/4 inch Sluggers Slugs group very consistently from my 19 inch barrel with Remchoke tube.

I've accidentally fired 5 Rem Sluggers (rifled) through my Poly on X-Full... no damage... lead < Steel.

That being said, I wouldn't do it on purpose!

I just use Imp-Mod as the tightest i feel comfortable with shooting Slugs through. I just adjust the choke to the stage accordingly.

I've accidentally fired 5 Rem Sluggers (rifled) through my Poly on X-Full... no damage... lead

That being said, I wouldn't do it on purpose!

I just use Imp-Mod as the tightest i feel comfortable with shooting Slugs through. I just adjust the choke to the stage accordingly.

Good info to have, thanks.

If the Poly-choke was damaged during the use of a slug it probably had an existing issue such as not fully seated in the threads or the collet was stuck. The Poly-choke must be dissasembled and cleaned thoroughly after use and was designed to handle slugs (Foster-type) and the actual constriction it provides is often less than a standard choke tube such as a Remchoke.

• 2 weeks later...

Also. I believe it's Remington, but it might be Winchester that recommends shooting their Foster type slugs through a Modified choke. It's printed right on the box.

My first S12 had a Polychoke, but I wasn't all that impressed after using it awhile. My new S12 will have an internal tube, ImpMod, permanently installed under the flash hider that is also permanently installed at 18 1/4".

Gunfixr, yah the poly doesn't choke it as much as fixed chokes but i'm hoping that after the porting job i did, it will allow a bit tighter pattern. (less gas pushing the shot as it goes through the choke, hoping it allows the shot to stay tight...)

The Remington slug box in front of me says they may may be fired through any choke, but improved cylinder is the best. They are 1 oz 2 3/4 fosters , sp12rs.

I want a choke for mine, and haven't committed to getting it re threaded for rem chokes. Has anyone actually done serious pattern comparisions between the RAA screw on chokes and the poly choke II's?

I am pretty curious because I was planning to buy a poly, but then I read a couple of articles that said they don't pattern very well compared to more modern designed chokes that restrict and go back to parallel with the bore.

Also how much does the threading service generally cost? I noticed that there are paradox style rifled chokes for about $50 that screw into a rem choke threaded barrel? That seemed kind of attractive, with a couple of other choke sizes, as I would like to make my gun as versatile as possible.