New S-12 owner

I just received my stock saiga s-12 19inch shotty. What comes first. Should I send the gun out for pistol grip and trigger group move along with other work? Or should I do it myself? I have been trolling this forum for a while and now I would like to contribute!!

Go shoot it before you convert it to make sure it works. Its not as hard as you think to do your own conversion. If you're a handy guy give it a shot. Getting a trigger guard from Tromix makes it easier and quicker. Well worth the money to me.

First of all, stop calling your Saiga-12 IZ-109 shotgun a "shotty". :huh:

Next, remove your gas plug and check to make sure that your barrel has 3 unobstructed gas ports, (as it should). If it does not, contact Cadiz Gun Works for free-of-charge warranty work. If it has the 3 unobstructed ports, (as it probably will), go shoot your new gun.. start with some high brass as it's going to need something other than cheapo bird-shot to break it in. Once you've established that she runs as she should, for the easiest conversion, pick up a Tromix Saiga triggergroup, a Tromix DIY triggerguard, the AK stock of your choice, and a Tapco SAW pistol grip, (and some tools including a dremel if you don't already have em). Then watch one of the many videos detailing a pg conversion and turn your Saiga-12 into what it was meant to be. Another inexpensive part that will greatly improve your shotgun's performance is the Gunfixr's gas plug. I highly recommend one of those as well.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
First of all, stop calling your Saiga-12 IZ-109 shotgun a "shotty"....

Aw c'mon, now.... we're all different. If he wants to call her a 'shotty', what's the harm?? :unsure:

You've been given good advice, Nayra. Take your SHOTTY out and put it through it's paces. See if your shells will eject cleanly and the next round loads properly. Try slugs and different mixes of shot, too.

Once you have determined that it is firing and cycling ok, then dig into the conversion threads. These guns are truly easy to convert with only a hand drill and a Dremel tool. Like Racer 27 said, the Tromix trigger guard comes prefabbed with a pistol grip bolt welded in place and that makes adding a pistol grip very easy. It is made for the SAW style grip, but I used a different style and all I had to do was a little creative dremeling on the inside of the pistol grip to make it work. Dinzag arms has a great, modified drop-in Tapco fire control group that is ready to go the moment it is shipped to your door with no extra work required.

I just received my stock saiga s-12 19inch shotty. What comes first. Should I send the gun out for pistol grip and trigger group move along with other work? Or should I do it myself? I have been trolling this forum for a while and now I would like to contribute!!

About a month ago, I was just like you. Just got my S12 and ready to send it to someone to convert it for me.

I too put a post here asking for help as to a decision on who to send it to for the work. The great people on this

site told me the same thing that they are telling you. Well I checked the gas ports, had three unplugged. I've

taken it and shot it to make sure it works, and it works really good! no problems at all. Meantime, I've been

watching the conversion video's, 4 or 5 times at least and looking at the internals of the gun. I have all the parts

now for conversion. I did not think I could do the conversion when I first learned all this Saigs stuff, but now I

know I can and I'm not a real mechanically inclined person. With all the guy's on this site to help you thru, and

they will help you thru. You or I or anyone with half a brain (like me) can do the conversion. Just keep watching

the video's and learn how the Saiga internals work and how it is all put together and taken apart. Heed the advice

that has already been given to make the conversion easier.

Edited by double