In memory of Sgt. Jordan D. "Buck" Buchanan, my dad, who served in E-Company during WWII. He survived the landing at Salerno, Italy; leading his men up the beach. I remember his telling of the landing. It wasn't until the movie "Saving Pvt Ryan" that I understood the horror of which Dad spoke. Dad passed in 2006.

In memory of Sgt. Allie Clinton "A.C." Wooten, my father-in-law, who served in the Pacific during WWII. Having only one eye, he worked "behind the lines"... though Japanese snipers and bombers blurred the line. He led the Wooten clan until his death in 2006.

In memory of Floyd Young, my uncle, who served in the Navy in WWII as a carpenter aboard an aircraft carrier.

In memory of A.D. Nanny, my uncle, who drove a tank in Korea.

All of these men had a positive impact on me as I grew. I loved their war stories. Watching them work and lead their respective families gave me a glimpse into the man in combat.

My brothers followed our father's lead, joining the Army. One, Rodney, during Vietnam through retirement. The other, Rick, during Desert Storm. Three of my eldest's sons served in Iraq... sometimes all there at the same time. They are a living tribute... a legacy. I need only to see any one of them to know the measure of that given.

To all of those gone, I remember.