Saiga AK Side Rail?

What's the deal with these? I assume they are non-standard AK rails? Does anyone carry an adapter that goes over the top for scopes? I thought I had found what I wanted from ClassicArms. They had what was advertised as AK side-rail mounts which I thought were eastern block, but ended up being UTG stuff that didn't even come close to fitting! The Saiga rail seems to stick out more than what the UTG slot would allow. Now I have two of these bastards with nothing to put them on. Guess I HAVE to buy regular AK's now since I have side rail mounts and all!

Edited by Rustynuts

They're standard. Try harder, you'll figure it out. I'm not familiar with the UTG mounts, but they could also be out-of-spec, but all my POSP scopes will fit on every saiga I own. Maybe posting a picture of the mount, or a link to a picture of it might help.

Don't think I'm that stupid! But here's a pic to show what's happening. As you can see, the Saiga has a funky multi-thickness rail. From left-to-right on the rail it measures in thickness 0.28" - 0.548" - 0.226" - 0.367". The UTG, which is flipped and upside down, (and says 3rd Gen AK on the box) has a single width dovetail slot which measures 0.46". Ain't gonna fit without some prying and hammering and looking like shit after.

IMG_0279.jpg

OK, I might be that stupid! I think the problem is my folder stock sticks out on that side (left folding) and is preventing me from starting back far enough to get the rail started. I didn't even notice the Saiga rail was dovetailed before! So much for quick on/off now as I'll have to remove the folder to get it on. Or cut the whole tail off the UTG which would then ruin its repositioning. Damn.

I may just swap over to right folder and live with it. I assume it will still be OK even though I'm a lefty.

Edited by Rustynuts

Are all side rail mounts like this? Seems like the UTG is only really engaging the rail at the middle thick section. Seems pretty solid, but still. Not sure how else to do it unless you went lever action on the mount.