Retainers, Hitch Pins, Shepards Hook? Please help a noob.

Greetings,

I'm somewhat new to the forum. Proud owner of a .223 and S-12. I've been doing my homework and I'm ready to start the conversions on my rifles.

Here's the only thing I'm not 100% clear on. Can someone tell me which is more desirable for use in a conversion. (Retainers, Hitch Pins, Shepards Hook?) I'm pretty sure I understand the purpose of these parts. Based on my research I believe you can use one of these three parts to hold your new FCG in place. I've read the plate is the "easiest" for the rifles but a complete pain in the ass (or near impossible) in the S-12.

Are one of these parts more reliable? I'm just about to order my parts and I'm just a little confused on this one issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This site kicks ass and I love my Russian hotties! :smoke:

Here's my opinion on the matter, but you're getting what you pay for.

The Russians use the shepards crook wire because its effective and cheap, I used the retainer plates (in my x39 and 12 gauge) because they were easy to drop in and out. Used hitch pins once and it was entirely too much of a pain in the ass for me (probably due to the frustration of working on that gun to begin with).

Pin retainer plates are obviously more robust than the "shepherd's crook" wire, and they're relatively cheap. I installed a plate made specifically for Saiga shotguns, (from Krebs), in my S-12 when I converted it, and replaced the shepherd's crook my SGL20 came with with a rifle pin retaining plate, (from dinzag arms). You can order plates specifically made for AK rifles/shotguns from both dinzag arms and Krebs custom. I just happened to order one from dinzag and one from Krebs.. it was a timing thing. :D

I would also say the plate would be the route to go I have used all three and the wire is a pain. And like post-apocalyptic said there are a few people who have the plate for an s-12 Ive goten one from Cobra. But I have had problems with the "Wires" have yet to have a problem with the plate.

Thanks guys. I figured that just based on looking at the parts. The wire does look cheap.

Damn it I already ordered my parts and I see there is retainer plate at Dinzag for the S-12. Oh well looks like I'll either use the wire or I'll just have to pay another shipping cost.

Also, how is Dinzag about shipping times? I ordered the KVAR warsaw length stock but it said "pre ordered". I'm hoping this wont take too long. I can't wait to get er done!

I make my own L-wires.

Any of the wires work great, but the best designs are the L-wire and the Bulgarian style.

Plates work great too, but at 10x the cost of the wires.

Unless you're taking your gun apart and putting it back together A LOT, the plate really isn't worth it.

I just realized that the Tromix FCG I ordered from Mississippi has the wire included. I ordered two sets. I also ordered the plate. So I will have a few of the wires laying around. If they work I may just throw one in the S-12 and use the plate in the .223. I don't really want to place another order for just the plate if I don't have too. But if it will mean better reliability I will..

Thanks again guys. I can't wait. These monte carlo stocks are going in the garbage so fast.. :up:

I just realized that the Tromix FCG I ordered from Mississippi has the wire included. I ordered two sets. I also ordered the plate. So I will have a few of the wires laying around. If they work I may just throw one in the S-12 and use the plate in the .223. I don't really want to place another order for just the plate if I don't have too. But if it will mean better reliability I will..

Thanks again guys. I can't wait. These monte carlo stocks are going in the garbage so fast.. :up:

If I were you, I would use the plate in the S-12 and the wire in the Saiga .223. The shotgun is going to experience a helluva lot more recoil. Of course, if you ordered a rifle plate instead of a plate made specifically for Saiga shotguns.. some fitting may be involved. This is why vendors have both Saiga rifle and shotgun plates available for order. Very similar.. but distinctively different.

When properly utilized, there is absolutely no difference in reliability. The difference is convenience, if you're one of these peeps who has their gun stripped down to the frame all the time.

My $0.02 based on my experience...

Wire = PITA

Retaining Plate = Quick Assembly

There are at least 4 different wire designs. The L-wire is as easy to use as the retaining plate. The Bulgarian design is a close second.

I believe you're referring to the 'shepherds hook' as the PITA, which it is, when compared to the others.

My $0.02 based on my experience...

Wire = PITA

Retaining Plate = Quick Assembly

There are at least 4 different wire designs. The L-wire is as easy to use as the retaining plate. The Bulgarian design is a close second.

I believe you're referring to the 'shepherds hook' as the PITA, which it is, when compared to the others.

Your correct... I should have specified.

Thanks again guys. Maybe I was a little quick with the clicker placing my order before I got all of my answers. Maybe I will order the S-12 plate. I'm a noob so anything that will make this project easier is cool with me. Also, I need a new trigger guard for the S-12. Just realized the Tromix DIY is for the SAW grip only. Friggen $50 part I can't use now. We can't can't have pistol grips on shotguns in this fruity blue state. So I'm gonna have to use a butthole stock of somesort. A fellow board member recomended the "SaigaTech" TG. We'll see. :money: