I just got a Mega lower yesterday, and will be attempting my first "assembly" soon :super: . All the AR's I have, the lowers were bought complete, so I've never done it. I watched a video on the assembly, and it looks easy enough.

I ordered a Magpul MIAD that arrived the other day, and my CMT/Stag LPK should be here this afternoon or tomorrow. That's as far as the lower is going to be built up for now. I have no decisions made for an upper, at this time. I just wanted to assemble it for fun.

Mega Machine Shop lowers are absolutely gorgeous! I figured since the price of (most) lowers has come back down to normal (I paid $115 for this one), and LPK's are starting to show up again, that I'd assemble this for shits-n-giggles.

meganoserial2.jpg

meganoserial3.jpg

meganoserial.jpg

(The last two are the first time using the "Macro" mode on my camera. They came out pretty good, I think.)

Pics look good! Its not bad took me about 45 min my first one, an extra set of hands helps too!!

I'll post some pics when I get the LPK installed. I'll have to remember the "extra hands" hint. Another tip I was given was to try and assemble it inside some sort of plastic bag, to keep flying springs and detents from getting away. The only bag I could find on hand, that is clear and big enough to fit my mits and a lower into.............was an empty toilet paper roll bag :lol: .

We'll see how it works.

Nice, what are you planing on building it for? what cal,barrel length...ect...

No real plans as of now. I just snatched it up, because the price of them got back to normal ($115) and had never assembled a lower myself, and wanted to give it a try.

I'm probably going to pick up a MOE stock and leave it at that. Then just set it aside for when I make the move to SC and use this as my SBR lower. :wub:

No real plans as of now. I just snatched it up, because the price of them got back to normal ($115) and had never assembled a lower myself, and wanted to give it a try.

I'm probably going to pick up a MOE stock and leave it at that. Then just set it aside for when I make the move to SC and use this as my SBR lower. :wub:

planning on moving to a less restrictive state huh? good for you. what prompted the move?

planning on moving to a less restrictive state huh? good for you. what prompted the move?

Oh hell yeah. I've been wanting to get out of NY for a long time. Never really had a specific place in mind.......just out of NY. For more reasons than I can list (gun laws being one of them, but certainly not the main reason.)

My girl and I have friends in SC, and we visited them a couple months ago. She already loved it down there, but I hadn't been there before. After the trip, we started talking and decided to plan on moving. I like it there too. I even got to molest an actual M4, "go fast" switch and all...............but the range didn't allow FA/burst fire :rolleyes: .

Megas are the best. All of my ARs are Mega lowers and uppers.

ETA: Heres a color fill for what will be an 11.5 inch SBR when I am done

DSC01465.jpg

Looks good!

I was thinking about picking up a Mega stripped upper at the same time as my lower............but I'm not up to the task of assembling an upper. Don't have the right tools or knowledge for that :unsure: .

I see you you're rocking the MIAD with the winter trigger guard/front strap as well. It fits my hand like a glove.

I had my eyes on an 11.5" complete upper. It was in stock and priced right. I should have bought it and just kept it at a friend's/relative's house who doesn't own any guns (so no "constructive intent" problems would arise) and then just had it mailed to me down in SC when I got the stamp. But of course, it sold out before I made the decision :angry: . (Simply owning a short-barreled upper is legit, as long as you don't attach it before you get the stamp. Or you could be making it into a pistol, for all anyone knows.)

I've read that you can indicate multiple caliber when applying for a stamp, so I want to get a 5.56 upper and a 9mm upper for use on the 1 lower.

DSC01465.jpg

Looks good!

I was thinking about picking up a Mega stripped upper at the same time as my lower............but I'm not up to the task of assembling an upper. Don't have the right tools or knowledge for that :unsure: .

I see you you're rocking the MIAD with the winter trigger guard/front strap as well. It fits my hand like a glove.

I had my eyes on an 11.5" complete upper. It was in stock and priced right. I should have bought it and just kept it at a friend's/relative's house who doesn't own any guns (so no "constructive intent" problems would arise) and then just had it mailed to me down in SC when I got the stamp. But of course, it sold out before I made the decision :angry: . (Simply owning a short-barreled upper is legit, as long as you don't attach it before you get the stamp. Or you could be making it into a pistol, for all anyone knows.)

I've read that you can indicate multiple caliber when applying for a stamp, so I want to get a 5.56 upper and a 9mm upper for use on the 1 lower.

Upper assembly is so damn easy that you will not believe you ever thought it was hard.

All you need are the right tools. A vice block and a good bench vice, a barrel wrench, some roll pin punches, some moly grease, and a reasonable torque wrench will do.

That MIAD is just there to protect the trigger guard ears. I am actually going to put a Tango Down Battle grip on it. I had one on my 16" carbine, but I switched it out for a MIAD. I have missed it ever since. I am going to slice the trigger guard off to use without the grip, and tap holes in it so I can use screws instead of pins.

I'm also gonna tap the takedown pin detent hole so I dont have the detent and spring falling out if I take the receiver plate off.

BTW, This is the receiver plate I'm using:

noveske.jpg

DSC01465.jpg

Looks good!

Upper assembly is so damn easy that you will not believe you ever thought it was hard.

All you need are the right tools. A vice block and a good bench vice, a barrel wrench, some roll pin punches, some moly grease, and a reasonable torque wrench will do.

That MIAD is just there to protect the trigger guard ears. I am actually going to put a Tango Down Battle grip on it. I had one on my 16" carbine, but I switched it out for a MIAD. I have missed it ever since. I am going to slice the trigger guard off to use without the grip, and tap holes in it so I can use screws instead of pins.

I'm also gonna tap the takedown pin detent hole so I dont have the detent and spring falling out if I take the receiver plate off.

BTW, This is the receiver plate I'm using:

noveske.jpg

Maybe I'll look into getting the tools for an upper assembly. I've already got one of those multi-tools for AR's, so that's a start.

+1 on the TD grip. I've got one of those too, and love it also. I actually received it for free as a "sorry" for a mess-up from an online vendor.

I like that Noveske QD-capable end plate. I need to pick up something similar, as I want to pick up a Vicker's sling soon, and like the QD-capability.

Another option, instead of hacking up that trigger guard, is a MOE polymer trigger guard. It just recently came out, and is a cheaper alternative to the $20 aluminum "enhanced" trigger guard they have had out for awhile. The MOE trigger guard is only $9 (click here). Just another option. You could probably sell the winter trigger guard/front strap you have now, for more than what the MOE guard costs. I've seen winter trigger guard/front strap for sale for about $14 just by itself.