7.62x39 or 5.45X39?

Looking to buy an AK, but undecided on whether a AKM or an AK 74. Would appreciate any info on the benefits of one over the other, ammo cost, mag availability, and any other factors to consider.

Done a bit of research on my own and am leaning towards a Polish InterArms Tantal, but only because only WASR's seem available right now in an AKM and I am not to fired up about one of those...

Help me make up my mind...

Jpanzer,

You might want to check out Peachstate Guns on this forum if you are interested in a great deal on an AK74. I just picked one up from them yesterday and the quality was very good. I had a chance to shoot it today and everything worked great. I previously owned a Tantal and could not get comfortable with the wire stock, but some people like them. I can't tell you about the Interarms version that you are looking at, but I can tell you to stay away from the Century Arms Tantal version. The one that I had from them was key holing more than 75% of the shots at 25 yards and would not even touch paper at 100 yards. Finally got my money back from them after a very lengthy fight.

Another plus side to the 74 is ammo cost. You can still order from many suppliers on line for around $170 per spam can of 1060 rounds.

Mags are a little more money, but you can still find them for a reasonable price if you keeps your eyes open.

I don't know where you are in Georgia, but if you are anywhere close to Covington, you can call them and set up an appointment to view and pick out the rifle of your choice. That's what I ended up doing and they are very friendly and helpful. Just some thoughts for you. Hope this helped.

Edited by GeorgiaPD

I sugest you check them out before buying one. Its my understanding that most ofthe Tantals are underfolders. This caused a few problems for me. I had allways wanted an underfolder and eventually got to try one out when a buddy of my bought a Yugo 7.62 underfolder. Now I'm glad I didnt just go outand order one.

The problems for me were...

1) I'm a lefty and the release button on the underfolder was on the wrong side (for me) . This would force me to switch arms everytime I wanted to fold/unfold the thing.

2) The wire like metal didnt feel to good under my cheek when fired

The first 2 I can get used to with time and practice but....

3) The stock was too short for me. I have long arms and I found it very uncomfortable to hold.

Over all I liked the rifle and it was fairly accurate with iron sights. At 300meters I was hitting a paint can just about every shot with unknown mfg surplus ammo. My buddy did better but he didnt have problem 2 and 3 like I did. And he served in the Yugoslavian army so he was used to fielding these rifles.

I perfer the 7.62 over the 5.45. All my Aks are in 7.62. Has better penetration and stopping power IMO.

Jpanzer,

You might want to check out Peachstate Guns on this forum if you are interested in a great deal on an AK74. I just picked one up from them yesterday and the quality was very good. I had a chance to shoot it today and everything worked great. I previously owned a Tantal and could not get comfortable with the wire stock, but some people like them. I can't tell you about the Interarms version that you are looking at, but I can tell you to stay away from the Century Arms Tantal version. The one that I had from them was key holing more than 75% of the shots at 25 yards and would not even touch paper at 100 yards. Finally got my money back from them after a very lengthy fight.

Another plus side to the 74 is ammo cost. You can still order from many suppliers on line for around $170 per spam can of 1060 rounds.

Mags are a little more money, but you can still find them for a reasonable price if you keeps your eyes open.

I don't know where you are in Georgia, but if you are anywhere close to Covington, you can call them and set up an appointment to view and pick out the rifle of your choice. That's what I ended up doing and they are very friendly and helpful. Just some thoughts for you. Hope this helped.

Sounds like you got a nice AK74. I live out near Lake Allatoona, so Covington wouldn't be to far of a drive for me. I didn't realize they would let you pick your own rifle!

I've heard of the Century Tantals keyholing, something to do with out of spec barrels I think. The InterArms version Atlantic Firearms sells has the correct barrel supposedly, and that was the primary reason for me thinking over theirs vs. the Century Arms version so that many other places are selling.

Never had a wire stock, so unsure if I would like it. I'll have to check Peach State out.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Jpanzer
I sugest you check them out before buying one. Its my understanding that most ofthe Tantals are underfolders. This caused a few problems for me. I had allways wanted an underfolder and eventually got to try one out when a buddy of my bought a Yugo 7.62 underfolder. Now I'm glad I didnt just go outand order one.

1) I'm a lefty and the release button on the underfolder was on the wrong side (for me) . This would force me to switch arms everytime I wanted to fold/unfold the thing.

3) The stock was too short for me. I have long arms and I found it very uncomfortable to hold.

Over all I liked the rifle and it was fairly accurate with iron sights. At 300meters I was hitting a paint can just about every shot with unknown mfg surplus ammo. My buddy did better but he didnt have problem 2 and 3 like I did. And he served in the Yugoslavian army so he was used to fielding these rifles.

I perfer the 7.62 over the 5.45. All my Aks are in 7.62. Has better penetration and stopping power IMO.

I believe the Tantal I've been looking at is a side folder. I shoot lefty too, and the stock folds right, so that might be an issue for me also. I've also been kicking around the idea of trying to find an Arsenal SGL20, but they all seem to be priced through the roof at most places. My main concern over about the 5.45 is that the ammo might not be as common place as the 7.62 here in the States. If I went with a Tantal or AK74 I could always stockpile the ammo I guess.... :dollar:

Edited by Jpanzer

I believe the Tantal I've been looking at is a side folder. I shoot lefty too, and the stock folds right, so that might be an issue for me also. I've also been kicking around the idea of trying to find an Arsenal SGL20, but they all seem to be priced through the roof at most places. My main concern over about the 5.45 is that the ammo might not be as common place as the 7.62 here in the States. If I went with a Tantal or AK74 I could always stockpile the ammo I guess.... :dollar:

Side folders, for me are not an issue as long as they fold and unfold or at least unfold without having to push any buttons or leavers or whatever. Something like a Galil style side folder. As far as the ammo goes. I havnt seen a shortage of 5.45 ammo. And as far I know most 5.45 guns can take .223 ammo. But I could be wrong. But you can always look into that.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp

Edited by Arik

I have a WASR-2 and a ITM Arms Ak-74 ive never had any problems out of them.Before i bought the ITM i had a tantal and when i would shoot it it would keyhole so i did some research on it.Bottom line is dont buy a tantal. Both the 74 and 47 have a lot of ammo and mags available so those two things shouldnt be a problem.

As far as the ammo goes. I havnt seen a shortage of 5.45 ammo. And as far I know most 5.45 guns can take .223 ammo. But I could be wrong. But you can always look into that.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp

You have your rounds mixed up, guns chambered in 5.56x45 can shoot .223, not guns chambered in 5.45x39.

FYI, guns chambered in .223 should not be used with 5.56 ammo.

I have a WASR-2 and a ITM Arms Ak-74 ive never had any problems out of them.Before i bought the ITM i had a tantal and when i would shoot it it would keyhole so i did some research on it.Bottom line is dont buy a tantal. Both the 74 and 47 have a lot of ammo and mags available so those two things shouldnt be a problem.

Woops!! My bad!!!

Depends on your primary purpose. I think 7.62x39 is a more effective round, but it's certainly more expensive. If you want a weapon primarily for plinking, get the 5.45x39. If you plan to carry it in a situation in which you may need to use it "for real," get the 7.62x39.

Jpanzer,

Sounds like you got a nice AK74. I live out near Lake Allatoona, so Covington wouldn't be to far of a drive for me. I didn't realize they would let you pick your own rifle!

I've heard of the Century Tantals keyholing, something to do with out of spec barrels I think. The InterArms version Atlantic Firearms sells has the correct barrel supposedly, and that was the primary reason for me thinking over theirs vs. the Century Arms version so that many other places are selling.

Never had a wire stock, so unsure if I would like it. I'll have to check Peach State out.

Thanks! :)

Sure, Give Adam a call at 678-660-2000 and make an appointment to come down and put your hands on both. The AK-74's we just got are really hard to beat!! Plan on spending an hour, it is a lot of fun picking up a Rifle from us because we don't run a retail shop so we aren't trying to hurry you out the door to answer the next guy in line:). Oh, Yea you can hand pick if you like, straight out of the vault.

Jeremy