I'm putting this up to settle a debate...I have a Robinson Arms XCR....the barrel is 16" and the OAL is almost 27", The gun currently has no stock (also is unfired in box) I'm getting the usual people saying "Oh noes!! that's a NFA item, you better cough up $200 bucks!" Now, I'm thinking to myself, why the fuck would I pay for a SBR when it's not? how is this not legal? BTW, it's currently stockless because i'm awaiting the new stock system Rob Arms is developing.

I'm putting this up to settle a debate...I have a Robinson Arms XCR....the barrel is 16" and the OAL is almost 27", The gun currently has no stock (also is unfired in box) I'm getting the usual people saying "Oh noes!! that's a NFA item, you better cough up $200 bucks!" Now, I'm thinking to myself, why the fuck would I pay for a SBR when it's not? how is this not legal? BTW, it's currently stockless because i'm awaiting the new stock system Rob Arms is developing.

And you have been shooting it with a bare tube sticking out the back of it?

Bare tube? no tube...it's a gas piston system...the back has a slot for a stock adapter if needed, otherwise think of it as a underfolder AK, just no folding stock ;) and, I haven't shot it yet...but I have brought it out a couple of times for show with some wierd looks lol

Edited by Vultite
I'm putting this up to settle a debate...I have a Robinson Arms XCR....the barrel is 16" and the OAL is almost 27", The gun currently has no stock ***(also is unfired in box)***I'm getting the usual people saying "Oh noes!! that's a NFA item, you better cough up $200 bucks!" Now, I'm thinking to myself, why the fuck would I pay for a SBR when it's not? how is this not legal? BTW, it's currently stockless because i'm awaiting the new stock system Rob Arms is developing.

Hello bolded text... He hasn't fired it.

It is a rifle awaiting its proper buttstock, it is for all intents and purposes partially disassembled.

It is not therefore, IMO, a SBR... Tho my opinion does differ from that of the BATFE.

I think your safe as long as your not taking it out for a little work out at the range.

I'm putting this up to settle a debate...I have a Robinson Arms XCR....the barrel is 16" and the OAL is almost 27", The gun currently has no stock ***(also is unfired in box)***I'm getting the usual people saying "Oh noes!! that's a NFA item, you better cough up $200 bucks!" Now, I'm thinking to myself, why the fuck would I pay for a SBR when it's not? how is this not legal? BTW, it's currently stockless because i'm awaiting the new stock system Rob Arms is developing.

Hello bolded text... He hasn't fired it.

It is a rifle awaiting its proper buttstock, it is for all intents and purposes partially disassembled.

It is not therefore, IMO, a SBR... Tho my opinion does differ from that of the BATFE.

I think your safe as long as your not taking it out for a little work out at the range.

yeah i was a bit quick to jump there, i agree with your position.

Short barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm with a

***barrel length of less than 16 inches (40.6 cm) or overall length of less than 26 inches (66.0 cm).***

In the United States, an SBR is an item regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) as a title II weapon. In the absence of local laws prohibiting ownership, American civilians may own an SBR provided it is registered with the BATFE, and a $200 tax is paid prior to taking possession of or creating the firearm.

Definitely not a SBR by definition... Take it to the range and fire for effect.
the barrel is 16" and the OAL is almost 27", The gun currently has no stock

Entirely legal.

Federal law says 26" overall. His is 27" ✓

Federal law says 16" barrel. His is 16" ✓

What's the issue?

the barrel is 16" and the OAL is almost 27", The gun currently has no stock

Entirely legal.

Federal law says 26" overall. His is 27" ✓

Federal law says 16" barrel. His is 16" ✓

What's the issue?

I thought so, people make a big fuss over it b/c it has no stock, when it doesn't need a stock to operate or meet length requirements. Well, we'll see what the range officers think about it and see if I make the news or not lol :rolleyes: