I currently have a plain vector arms AKM in 7.62 that I rather appreciate. However, I've always thought that I'd like to own an underfolder.

At the moment, I'm looking at the Yugo M70, and I was wondering if someone could educate me on the pros and cons of this rifle.

I'm interested in information such as AK part compatibility, who imports it and what 922r parts are swapped, general quality, etc.

Thanks.

Pros: It's built like a brick outhouse.

Cons: It's an underfolder.

Compatibility: The handguard is from the milled Yugo AKs, and any other stamped receiver furniture won't fit.

Compliance parts depends on who manufactured it (and when). Century uses US made barrels, while others use the original Yugo barrels. Century has also used various combinations of US parts over their manufacturing run.

cool, thanks for the speedy reply. I'm specifically looking for an underfolder, since I'm totally happy with my full stock vector, so that isn't a con to me.

So, the handguard is the only non-standard user replaceable part?

I assume that any M70 I buy new today is going to be a century arms, correct?

cool, thanks for the speedy reply. I'm specifically looking for an underfolder, since I'm totally happy with my full stock vector, so that isn't a con to me.

So, the handguard is the only non-standard user replaceable part?

I assume that any M70 I buy new today is going to be a century arms, correct?

Odds are good that it will be a Century model.

Other jobbers have produced some, though.

Pros: It kicks ass.

Cons: um, its not free?

Seriously, its a great AK, heavy receiver (or should be, i understand Century skimped on a few) bulged RPK front trunion, excellent gas shutoff valve for launching rifle grenades, (which is fun all by itself, dummy grenades are cheap) which can be modified to aid in easy one shot accuracy. night sights (most, again, Century, the one i had still had tritium inserts, but they painted over them, had clear them off with an exacto blade) Unique dust cover pushbutton latch secures the recoil spring and makes reassembly after field strip simpler. The Yugo mags hold the bolt back on the last round, to let you know you are empty, but slam shut when you remove the mag. Much better pistol grip than the standard AK grip. The handguards are a different length than most AK's, so either try to avoid the ones with the cheap plastic handguard and try to get wood, or make sure you replace them with a handguard specifically made for the m70. Leapers has a nice quad rail for it for around $70, and plenty of other manufacturers stock rails or handguards specifically for the yugos, so its not hard to find, you just have to know its not the same as the standard AK.

Century imported the bulk of them as far as i know, reassembled them on US receivers with a US fire control group and US barrels, though there are some variations, some have US plastic handguards, US yugo style pistol grips, etc. there are US made gas pistons availiable as well. The original Yugo barrels, as well as the Green Mountain replacements are not chrome lined, but are both of decent quality, and should last. Many of the surplus kits however, were shot out on full auto durring the little war they had over there, kids dumping mags everytime they got scared, so check the barrel on non century imports. (as far as i know, all the centurys have new barrels, but i could be wrong)

Century is renowned for poor quality control, but dont let that make you think that every rifle they assembled is shyte, they just botched a couple, and overlook some simple things like not spraypainting over the tritium vials. Give it a good look over and you should notice any major gorilla-ing. be sure to check the stock lockup, some have more play when extended than others. If it doesnt have the tritium vials they can be ordered, and are simple to install.

Most, if not all do not come with a optics mount, though they had one originally, a special design unique to the yugos so as to fit under the stock when folded. you can buy a replacement here http://www.p-a-distributing.com/ for $40 as well as the original style yugo optics or mounts of other scopes, or you can mount optics to a rail setup, if you are so inclined.

I have a Century Yugo M70AB. I really don't shoot that or any of my guns that much due to cost of ammo. I don't think the Yugo has ever jammed on me. The wire underfolder does induce pain in the shoulder snd it might not be the best stock to get a good cheek weld on, but that is not why i bought it. It also fits in a standard tennis racket case. You should get the tool to adjust the front sights. I also bought a sling for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a new Century M70. This has to be the best offering Century has ever released.

Let me list the two shortcomings so I can get on with the positives.

1) The slant brake wobbles a little. I'll either use some blue loctite or plumber's tape to snug it up some. No worries.

2) The receiver is designed for a double-hook FCG but they installed a single-hook G2. I guess it's what they had more of.

Again, no worries. I happen to have a spare double-hook G2 in house.

And if one considers it an issue, the flip-up night site on the FSB is parked-over. Not an issue for me.

Now for the goods...

The park job is outstanding. Best I have seen from Century.

Everything that should be tight, is. No loose rattles anywhere.

Heavy barrel and receiver, both new and U.S. made.

Synthetic handguards. Some call them cheap. I prefer them.

The pistol grip must be a Century exclusive and I love it. It fits my hand perfectly.

Polished and chromed bolt and carrier. Sweet.

Straight sights, no cant whatsoever.

Stock locks up tight. Very solid.

It came with two Tapco mags. Don't knock them till you try them, they work great.

It actually has a bayonet lug. The jury is still out on whether I will buy a bayonet.

I just have to get a sling for it and I'm set.

I like this thing so much, I plan to pull out some stuff to trade on another one.

• 1 month later...

I built a Yugo from a parts kit and a DCI receiver. It's a tough rifle with the RPK bulge. I use a modified Century FCG which has the disconnetcor tail ground off to eliminate trigger slap.

Its disadvantages are the lack of a chrome lined barrel since Tito did not want to rely on the Russians for the chromium. It works flawlessly and the Yugo magazine will hold the bolt open until the magazine is released then the bolt slams closed.

Too bad the Yugoslavs didn't incorporate a BHO into their rifle.