Where to get Saiga converted in TX?

If you find an hour or two, you can come and see me and do it yourself.

If not, Tac 47 Industries seems to be doing good work, but I can't tell you what It'll cost.

+1 on Nalioth and his knowledge and help in converting over a Saiga to proper AK.

He walked me through the process in a couple of hours and it was great to have someone who had "been there & done that" when doing my first conversion.

Super guy, friendly and knows his AKs!

You can pay someone else, or take advantage of a Great Resource in the Houston area.

Your choice but as someone who was in the same position, I'm very appreciate of Nalioth and his assistance in my conversion!

THANKS AGAIN!!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Two thumbs up go out to Nalioth as well.. You can trust him

Very intelligent and courteous to locals in houston who want to do conversions...

He helped me do my conversion in a few hrs.. You will learn a thing or two from this guy...Actually he is the only one that will help you on this forum who is located in houston...

Thanx again bro..

Nalioth can you give me the proper part list i would need to properly do this conversion.

That is the question, isn't it?

Assuming you have a 7.62x39 Saiga, the parts list depends on what you want out of it.

At a minimum:

A US made pistol grip

A US made butt stock

A US made fire control group

A bullet guide (if you want to use milsurp mags)

A conversion with the parts listed will allow you to use any magazine and be 922r compliant.

What part of houston do you live in?

I live in the eastern Houston metro area near the beltway.

Here is a quick pricesheet I made for a friend of mine that I plan on helping converting... see attachment.

saiga.doc

-Bryan

That list is a good effort and somebody's hard work should be appreciated.

With that said, we all know that a converted 7.62 can be completed for hundreds of dollars less if someone takes the time to shop around. I know mine was less than $600 and it looks great.

I'd just hate to see someone pass on converting their rifle because of a reported overall $1000 cost.

In any case, time is not a factor. Other than waiting for the parts, you can take pride in your own work with only a few hours invested.

Good Luck!

I agree you can do it cheaper, this was an Excel file for a friend to create a clone of what I have.

However, the prices are - spot on. The trigger, spring, ag47 grip, 1 mag, ace stock and internal block (all from Carolina Shooters Supply) are some of the best prices around.

-Bryan

Edited by broberts001
  • 2 weeks later...

There are several options in the Houston area. If cost is a factor, I would do alot of reading and learn from some of the pit falls that other have encountered . The more difficult part would be the front sight block,gas block and cutting the notch for the lower handgaurd retainer in the barrel. I did not care for the looks of Dinzag's retainer that well at first and I went the more traditional route myself , but if I had it to do over again, I would buy the clamp on lower handgaurd retainer.

I did remove my FSB off both my Saigas with a bearing puller and a 3 jaw puller that I had in my old tool box . It cracked and popped and made wierd noises and at times seemed like something was going to break ! Mine was pinned not dimpled and they were both pinned.

That is as far as I got with 1 and had the barrel threaded 1/2 28 and the FSB and Gas block welded into one piece, so I had the handgaurd retainer done at the same time ,holes weldedup and complete rifle reparked.

The other rifle is waiting in the wings , I am going to do this one myself when I get some time to get with Nalioth and push off the gas block. My bullet guides are on they way so I am getting close,and I am waiting on my wood from Ironwood.

I will try to have the wife post some pics of the rifles when complete.

I am not too computer saavy !